Kitfox Aircraft Stick and Rudder Stein Air Grove Aircraft TCW Technologies Dynon Avionics AeroLED MGL Avionics Leading Edge Airfoils Desser EarthX Batteries Garmin G3X Touch
Page 2 of 3 FirstFirst 123 LastLast

Thread: maule tailwheel question

Default Re: maule tailwheel question

I noticed a large amount of play on the steering arm of my maule tailwheel. I popped the dust cap off and checked the nut on top and it was tight. I can grab the steering arm and it feels loose. Everything is working right, I just don't remember this much slop in the arm. (I have a video of it but can't attach it) There are 36 hours on the plane. I wouldn't think the tailwheel is worn out yet? I saw the article about the Maule tailwheels. I am wondering if anyone has run across this? What part was worn out? I was thinking about ordering the lock ring for $35 but i wanted to make sure there isn't some other common issue.

I noticed the same issue the axle is loose but i didn't find any functioning problem

I have a worn maule TW that I replaced the main bushing in and then hand lapped until it turned freely. The main pivot at least has no slop.

But the arm assembly has play that I don't see how to remove. Will use a Matco instead.

The outer ends of the steering arm on my maul TW wiggle up and down 7/16 inch. Foreward and aff it is tight. As near as I remember it has been like that since it was new. In fact I think every maul tail wheel I have tried to wiggle the steering arm on has that kind of play.
    Tom Jones
    Classic 4 builder

All the play on mine is only up and down as well. I am not sure but I think mine goes up and down more than 7/16" though. I'm gonna work on trying to put the video on u-tube.

Ok here is a link to the video. In one part it looks like it has front to back play but it's a bad angle. It is tight front to back. Only up and down.

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=BUh1e...ature=youtu.be

OH I have like you, it's not the axle in fact only this part of metal hanging the springs (excuse me for my english i'm french)

Has i have almost finished my complete overhaul, i have decided to change the maul tail wheel to the 6" with tire Matco one :

http://www.matcomfg.com/TAILWHEEL6PN...v-3373-69.html

this one weight is 4,75 pounds. Is anybody knows the weight of the Maule one just to see the impact for my centering. (i think will be peanuts but just to know).

Thank you, I'm so existed to fly in my new one almost 4 months without flying AARGH !

this one weight is 4,75 pounds. Is anybody knows the weight of the Maule one just to see the impact for my centering. (i think will be peanuts but just to know).
    The Aircraft Spruce Catalogue says 6 pounds for the Maul.
    Tom Jones
    Classic 4 builder

I just got this 8" a couple months ago and it weighs about the same as the Maule I replaced. I love my new Matco.

http://www.matcomfg.com/TAILWHEEL8PN...v-3750-69.html

You might want to call Matco and discuss your needs. They steered me away from the 7" wheel in favor of this 8" for my plane.
    Pete
    Leander, TX
    Model III SN 1000
    Grove