Kitfox Aircraft Stick and Rudder Stein Air Grove Aircraft TCW Technologies Dynon Avionics AeroLED MGL Avionics Leading Edge Airfoils Desser EarthX Batteries Garmin G3X Touch

Thread: Drop in replacement for Airheart brakes?

Default Drop in replacement for Airheart brakes?

I have a kitfox model 1 with 8" Douglas wheels and Airheart brakes that I'm rebuilding. Even though the brakes aren't the best I was going to rebuild them and deal with it. I even looked the company up on line and it looked like there were spare parts to be had. That was last year. Their website now says that they have discontinued those brakes and parts/ kits etc.

So that begs the question, is there a drop in replacement? I'd rather not perform surgery on my landing gear to weld on new brackets if I don't have to.

Default Re: Drop in replacement for Airheart brakes?

Someone on the AviFoxFlyers site just put Black Max brakes on a Kitfox and they just require a new axle. The caliper on these keys to the axle. Might be worth a look.
    John Brannen
    Morris, IL
    Sonerai IIL (Single Seat)
    Kitfox 3/4 1050 - Rotax 582 (Back Flying and sold)
    Kitfox IV 1050 - Rotax 582 (sold)
    Kitfox IV 1200 Speedster - Rotax 912 UL (project)
    Piper Twin Comanche (Sold)
    Glasair 1 FT (Waiting to start)

Quote Originally Posted by FoxbuilderWill View Post
    I have a kitfox model 1 with 8" Douglas wheels and Airheart brakes that I'm rebuilding. Even though the brakes aren't the best I was going to rebuild them and deal with it. I even looked the company up on line and it looked like there were spare parts to be had. That was last year. Their website now says that they have discontinued those brakes and parts/ kits etc.

So that begs the question, is there a drop in replacement? I'd rather not perform surgery on my landing gear to weld on new brackets if I don't have to.
    I would imagine that rebuilding them would involve changing out O rings and pads. O rings shouldn't be an issue, just find the right size somewhere else and make sure they are compatable with the brake fluid you use. If the brake pads are in good shape, they will probably last a long time. I have about 600 hrs on the Matco ones on my Avid MK IV, and they still work. Unless the airheart pads are way softer, it may be quite a while before you need new ones. I see there is a phone # on the airheart site, maybe call them and see if you can get new pads. I have a complete set of them from a Kitfox 1 also, hubs, wheels, rotors and calipers but am not using them now. They did seem to do ok, not sure they stop any worse then the matcos. JImChuk

https://cometkartsales.com/Hurst-Airheart-Brakes/

Those Black Max brakes look nice. Kinda pricey though, I was hoping on just replacing calipers. We'll see.

Quote Originally Posted by avidflyer View Post
    I would imagine that rebuilding them would involve changing out O rings and pads. O rings shouldn't be an issue, just find the right size somewhere else and make sure they are compatable with the brake fluid you use. If the brake pads are in good shape, they will probably last a long time. I have about 600 hrs on the Matco ones on my Avid MK IV, and they still work. Unless the airheart pads are way softer, it may be quite a while before you need new ones. I see there is a phone # on the airheart site, maybe call them and see if you can get new pads. I have a complete set of them from a Kitfox 1 also, hubs, wheels, rotors and calipers but am not using them now. They did seem to do ok, not sure they stop any worse then the matcos. JImChuk

https://cometkartsales.com/Hurst-Airheart-Brakes/
    The plane only has 75 hrs on it so I doubt the pads have much wear. The previous owner said that the brakes would only hold to 75% power (rotax 532), so I'm building new brake pedals to get a little better mechanical advantage applying pressure. Given how important brakes are i probably just need to bite the bullet and buy some good ones.

Most Avid guys would be happy if their brakes held to 75% power. I would try to live with what you have, at least try them, maybe it will be ok. I did three landings in my Avid MK IV this evening, and barely used the brakes at all. Focus on other things for now. That's my story, and I'm sticking to it.... :-) JImChuk