Kitfox Aircraft Stick and Rudder Stein Air Grove Aircraft TCW Technologies Dynon Avionics AeroLED MGL Avionics Leading Edge Airfoils Desser EarthX Batteries Garmin G3X Touch

Thread: Model IV Smooth Cowl Coil/CDI mounting

Default Model IV Smooth Cowl Coil/CDI mounting

Could someone please explain how the 912 coils and CDI boxes get mounted on the Model IV smooth cowl installation? Finally got to the electrical section in the install manual and realized the instructions never tell you to reinstall them after you swapped the intakes. At the end of the manual Kitfox has added a couple pages from the Classic IV manual that talk about CDI mounting brackets, but doesn't make a whole lot of sense. The best picture I could find was this one from: https://teamkitfox.com/Forums/thread...OTAX-912/page2

20140514_180449.jpg

Default Re: Model IV Smooth Cowl Coil/CDI mounting

I made a bracket that hooked to the mount to hang the modules on. I put all new sparkplug wires on as well, so length was not a problem. JImChuk

Any chance for some pics or sketches?

Nothing fancy, 2 pieces of aluminum angel that go past 2 of the motor mount tubes. Angles held to tubes with 3 addell clamps. Flat piece of aluminum on top of lower angles, then 4 aluminum angles pointing up to make the stand for coils and modules. Same machine screws go through the top angles and fasten to the bottom angles, sandwiching the flat piece of aluminum in be tween. Would be easy to do a second time, took some head scratching and redoing the first time around. Also, my firewall is very low, cowl will just barely clear the oil tank. That forced me to make every thing as low as possible so I didn't have to make a bump in the cowl to cover the modules. JImChuk
    Attached Images Attached Images

Thanks Jim, that was very helpful. I can't really see under the plate, but from your description I'm assuming you omitted using any of the vibration buffers, correct?

Also, ordinarily the coil grounds would go to a screw on the intake. I assume those are the wires that are mounted to the frame in the second picture. And, then the purple wire is going to a grounding point somewhere on the engine, correct?

My ignition platform is mounted on the firewall side of the engine mount (back half). Therefore, those tubes shouldn't be viberating around like the motor side of the mount might (front half). Also, I have several grounds going off the platform. Off hand I'm not sure what the purple wire was for, it's a work still in progress, that's why there are tape labels on things and such. JImChuk

Here is what I'm going to try; attaching three corners to the engine mount using 1/2" adel clamps.
    - Rear left is the same as originally attached to the coils.
    - Rear right is the 42724.000 bracket from the kit attached to the shorter bumper (originally on front right).
    - Front right is a new M6 bolt with spacer attached to the bracket that was on the front left.

CDI1.jpg CDI2.jpg

The vibration when mounted on the engine mount arms is significant, even with the rubber isolators. In this application it is advisable to check frequently.

image.jpg
    -Aeropro CZ Aerotrek A240 Tri-Gear SLSA 912uls
    -Airdale Avid+ on CZAW Amphibs 'FatAvid Floater' (building)
    -Kitfox 4-1200 TD 912ul (sold)
    -Kitfox Model III TD 582 (R.I.P.)
    -Avid Flyer Mk-IV TD (sold)