Kitfox Aircraft Stick and Rudder Stein Air Grove Aircraft TCW Technologies Dynon Avionics AeroLED MGL Avionics Leading Edge Airfoils Desser EarthX Batteries Garmin G3X Touch

Thread: Model IV classic door fit

Default Model IV classic door fit

I am rebuilding the doors on my classic model IV. The original builder made some errors in the cowling that affected door fit. I am modifying the doors to cover the gap he left between the cowling and the door frame.
    How do YOUR doors fit? Do you use a Bulb seal or any type of gap seal?
    Pics if you have them of how the doors look when closed.

really trying to keep the wind off the wife. Then there is winter which is 6 to nine months long in North Idaho.
    I don't fly with the doors open anymore due to the recent broken hinge tab that would have let the door leave the plane if it had failed in flight.
    I could add a third tab on the frame if it didn't impinge while opening. I'm thinking of a single long pin for the door frame as well but it may be more hassle than its worth. Anyone doing something like that for quick removal?

Default Re: Model IV classic door fit

FYI;
    If you try to make the fox too air tight, you will fog up all your glass.
    Roger

Default Re: Model IV classic door fit

Quote Originally Posted by Wheels View Post
    I'm thinking of a single long pin for the door frame as well but it may be more hassle than its worth. Anyone doing something like that for quick removal?
    I made hinge pins that are L shaped with a slight bullet tip on the end you insert. The L is about 3/4" to 1" long and all you need to do is grab the L and rotate it back and forth to remove them. It only takes a couple minutes per door to remove them including removing the gas struts at one end.
    Phil Nelson
    A&P-IA, Maintenance Instructor
    KF 5 Outback, Cont. IO-240
    Flying since 2016