Kitfox Aircraft Stick and Rudder Stein Air Grove Aircraft TCW Technologies Dynon Avionics AeroLED MGL Avionics Leading Edge Airfoils Desser EarthX Batteries Garmin G3X Touch

Thread: STOL for Mountain Flying

Default STOL for Mountain Flying

Perhaps a little information on me would assist in any advise you folks may provide. I've toyed with the idea of a STOL aircraft for some time now and attended 2 EAA AirVentures in Oshkosh several years ago but didn't do anything. I've been flying since 1982 starting with a Warrior, then Turbo Arrow and have had a Seneca II since 2003. I'm IFR rated but fly less and less as time goes on and I'm now 75 years old and retired in the Canadian Rockies. I now only fly VFR and take the Seneca to Phoenix for the winters. If I buy a STOL I would keep the Seneca for cross country and use the STOL for sightseeing, etc. in the Rockies so I need good performance, preferably a engine with turbo. My preference would be tricycle gear as I've flown my brother's citabria and feel more comfortable with tricycle and like side by side seating - although we have a 6,000 foot runway here it's the only option and crosswinds can be an issue. I realize tricycle gear limits the landing options.

MY budget is around US$100,000 and prefer to buy something already built - this might be unrealistic. I'd love to have a new one with a quick build but the price soars. I like the Kitfox and it appears it would be a good option but the price is limiting and not many for sale - a Zenith 750 may also be an option (assuming you can get by the looks) and there are a few for sale and within my budget.

I've posted this on EAA as well but would appreciate comments/suggestions from Kitfox owners/builders?
    Thx
    Bob

Default Re: STOL for Mountain Flying

Sounds like you are set to have some fun! I think you can get a nice Kitfox for $100K, you would have to be both patient and quick to act though when one comes available. Part of me thinks we will see more planes for sale as time goes on given the situation in the world.

The one word in your description that could push it higher is turbo. You might try to connect with someone with a 912iS or ULS, 100hp, and see what you think. Stick and Rudder operates with a 912iS SS7 and I hear it does well. A plane with a 914/915 would be more $$

Just saw this on Barnstormers, not a trike, but they can be converted maybe.... JImChuk

KITFOX SERIES 5 OUTBACK
    $68,000THIS ONE WON'T LASTCont.O200/100HP. New DUC prop/spinner.375SMOH,25 STOH. Based in Oneida, TN. upgrades. See other ad. • Contact Tim Bonner , - located Carmichael, CA Usa Telephone: 916-320-5665 • Posted May 23, 2020

Checked barnstormers this morning, a search for Kitfox turned up five big body kitfox aircraft in flying condition.
    The 100 hp rotax powered model 7 listed at 169k, looked very nice.
    Not sure what a turbo would do to asking prices.

Quote Originally Posted by avidflyer View Post
    Just saw this on Barnstormers, not a trike, but they can be converted maybe.... JImChuk
    The Outback or any Model 5 cannot be converted to the other configuration. The ability to do that starts with the model 6.
    Phil Nelson
    A&P-IA, Maintenance Instructor
    KF 5 Outback, Cont. IO-240
    Flying since 2016

Quote Originally Posted by PapuaPilot View Post
    The Outback or any Model 5 cannot be converted to the other configuration. The ability to do that starts with the model 6.

Thank you everyone for your comments - although I flew to Moultrie GA to the Maule factory several years ago and considered the Maule, (and flew their 235) I'm obviously a neophyte in this STOL environment.

The best thing I probably could do is retain someone that can assist me through the various options and provide realistic opinions on various topics and alternatives. I did speak to John McBean of Kitfox on Friday and delivery of either the fast build kit or a factory build plane (only 6 per year and a 2 or 3 year wait) is not encouraging from a delivery point of view and above my budget. Guess the alternative would be for me to sell the Seneca and thus increase my budget.

In the meantime I'll continue my own research with assistance from knowledgeable people such as yourselves.
    Thx Fellas
    Bob