Kitfox Aircraft Stick and Rudder Stein Air Grove Aircraft TCW Technologies Dynon Avionics AeroLED MGL Avionics Leading Edge Airfoils Desser EarthX Batteries Garmin G3X Touch
Page 1 of 3 123 LastLast

Thread: Folding wing question

Default Folding wing question

Hello everyone, I'm a brand new member here, and have a quick question about the the STI folding wings.

I am currently and airline guy, and have not flown anything with a propeller in over 20 years. I'm going to change that soon.

My long term plan is to start construction in 8 to 10 years, to be ready to fly when I retire.

In the meantime, I have recently moved to the country and I now have a large steel building. I have 46' x 47' of space that will be framed in with 10' ceilings. There will be an upstairs that will become my man cave. Due to that, I am guessing I will have multiple columns and possibly some specialized trusses. I will be consulting with an engineer before construction.

I plan to fly and hangar the airplane at my house. I will have to fold the wings to get an airplane into my shop. Here is my question: Should I build enough open space on the 1st floor to allow unfolding of the wings?

Default Re: Folding wing question

Yes I would create space to unfold in the hangar. I keep my SS7 at home in a section of my barn which was prepared by remodeling, adding a garage door, and a loading dock the same height as the trailer. I trailer the two miles to the airport. The issue is that some times inspections or maintenance requires the wings be un-folded. No problem on a nice day but bad weather puts a delay on work. You can search the forum for " trailering a kitfox SS7" for the video of my operation. The width and height of the opening need consideration. With the wings folded the width of the plane is about 8 feet, but it is wise to have some padding between the flaperons and the vertical stab. I used 9 feet wide and only have 2 inches clearance on each side. Should be 10 feet wide. Height depends, on nose wheel or tail wheel plus if you are going to have a raise up door the ceiling has to be high enough to allow for height of tail plus the door mechanism.

I agree, make space to spread your wings.
    Tom Jones
    Classic 4 builder

Thanks for the replies.

The door for my building is 12' wide and 10' tall, so I should be good there. I am definitely going tailwheel, so I should be able to get the get the airplane in, even sitting on my trailer.

The question is going to be is how close can I space my support columns to still allow the wing to be unfolded inside? I would also like to add a couple of feet of wiggle room.

Are there any detailed drawings of the dimensions on the website that I have missed? By rough estimates, I think I will need a 20' x 38' open span to accommodate unfolding the wings with room to work.

The construction cost goes up with the length of span of my floor joists.

Paint template on Kitfox website.
    Attached Files Attached Files
    Starfox

Attached is a PDF file of a template of the S-7.

Direct link to the S-7 specs on the factory web page https://www.kitfoxaircraft.com/index...persport-specs

With wings folded it is 22' 7" long.

To spread the wings in that space you may need to put the plane on dollys. Spread one wing, move the plane sideways, then spread the other wing. That's how I did it my shop.
    Attached Files Attached Files
    Tom Jones
    Classic 4 builder

Your 20' length could be a problem. If the engine and prop are installed the length is about 20', but it gets even longer with the wings folded. I think mine is about 20.5' x 32' with the wings out and 22' x 8' with the wings folded.

If you don't install the engine and just work on the airframe you could use the 38' x 20'. If you leave the rudder and elevator off you will shorten it another 2'. You would be down to about 15' without the engine and tail, but you could have it sitting on its wheels.
    Phil Nelson
    A&P-IA, Maintenance Instructor
    KF 5 Outback, Cont. IO-240
    Flying since 2016

Thanks, I can work with those images to get some rough dimensions for the fold.

The 20' span length would just be the distance between the columns, so the rest would be open space. I figure the distance from the tip of the spinner to the front of the wind is roughly 3 or 4 feet. So, think about a column on either side of the nose, about halfway out the wing. From there, go aft about 20' to the next column. I think that will work.

I am going to diagram it up for the engineer. I'll post a picture of it once I am done.

That would be good. The dollys require lot of Monkey Motion.

Tom Jones
    Classic 4 builder

Thanks for the pictures.. it looks like a nice space! Mine is literally just an empty steel building right now. I don't even have electricity yet.