Kitfox Aircraft Stick and Rudder Stein Air Grove Aircraft TCW Technologies Dynon Avionics AeroLED MGL Avionics Leading Edge Airfoils Desser EarthX Batteries Garmin G3X Touch
Page 2 of 3 FirstFirst 123 LastLast

Thread: Folding wing question

Default Re: Folding wing question

I sketched it out, and the dimensions should be roughly correct. It looks like a 20' open span will work. Once the wings are unfolded, I'll be able to push the aircraft back and have plenty of room on all sides... that is if this design will work for the floor load above. I have a meeting with the engineer in a few weeks.

diagram.jpg

With the sti wing you can’t completely fold the wings without removing the flapperons because of the stall fence. FYI
    Dustin Dickerson

Building 7ss STI x 2
    Oratex
    29" shock monster
    EP912STI 155hp
    Garmin
    N33TF......FLYING!
    N53TF......FLYING!

Good to know, thanks. Any idea how wide it would be without removing the flapperons? My door is 12' wide. I would be flying off of my property, so I wouldn't need to trailer it often.

Once we get the stall fences on we can give you an estimate. We have a 10’ wide garage door and they barely fit through the garage door with the wings fully folded.
    Dustin Dickerson

Building 7ss STI x 2
    Oratex
    29" shock monster
    EP912STI 155hp
    Garmin
    N33TF......FLYING!
    N53TF......FLYING!

You did say STI didn't you? The cord is longer and will not fold flat to the vertical without removing the flapperon, I have one. I was shocked when I tried to fold mine.

Folding wings make for convenience when storing... however, it can be a hassle when you go flying often. If you do not need to transport your Kitfox, I recommend building to accommodate not having to fold the wings.

Just my $.02

Ralph

Yeah we could barely fit ours through a 10’ wide door with the STI wing folded and no stall fence. If we had the stall fence on I don’t think it would fit through a 12’ door.
    Dustin Dickerson

Building 7ss STI x 2
    Oratex
    29" shock monster
    EP912STI 155hp
    Garmin
    N33TF......FLYING!
    N53TF......FLYING!

Well.. I have received several emails regarding this.. Classic case of being on the internet it must be true.. well it is not.
    Thank you for those that emailed and asked.

The wings will fold all the way on the STi... If you intend on folding the wings you may have to modify the tail end of the mid-wing fence to allow the flaperon to rotate full up..

Width is 103.5"
    Attached Images Attached Images
    John McBean
    www.kitfoxaircraft.com

"The Sky is not the Limit... It's a Playground"

Thank you John as my order will be picked up in June and do want to trailer the STI. Another question was is the STI tail dragger actually 6' 10'' tall compared with the Super Sport listed as 5' 8'' on the site? Jim
    Starfox

Hmmm... not sure what I said that was not true. As I stated earlier, "if you install the stall fences, you cannot fold the wings completely." The stall fences sent to us if installed as per the instructions you cannot fold the wings completely. Of course you can modify them to fold completely but would be a bugger to do after the fact once painted and installed. Just giving others builders a heads up so they can think ahead. John Moriarty gave us a heads up, he has a STI wing, before we installed the ones on Cory's since we are going in and out of a 10' wide garage. We are waiting to install them until at the airport. Just an FYI.
    Last edited by Shadowrider; 05-19-2020 at 02:50 PM.
    Dustin Dickerson

Building 7ss STI x 2
    Oratex
    29" shock monster
    EP912STI 155hp
    Garmin
    N33TF......FLYING!
    N53TF......FLYING!