Kitfox Aircraft Stick and Rudder Stein Air Grove Aircraft TCW Technologies Dynon Avionics AeroLED MGL Avionics Leading Edge Airfoils Desser EarthX Batteries Garmin G3X Touch

Thread: Possible manual error?

Default Possible manual error?

In Section B, Page 5 of the manual, Flight Controls Installation, it shows one type of washer on the left stick pivot and a different one on the other. See the attached picture.
    manual error 1.png
    On the right pivot, it uses the "N" callout washers to hold the rod end bearing, and the "M" callout washer for the bolt. On the left pivot, it calls out the "M" washer to hold the bearing and the "N" washer for the bolt. The thinner "N" washers slipped in easily on the right, but the thick "M" washers were a bit of a pry and force to get both in.

It look like to me the thin washers should be used on both sides for the bearing, and the thick washers used for the bolts.

Anyone else question this? Anyone go ahead and do what I'm suggesting?
    Greg Anderson
    7SS in "production" : https://eaabuilderslog.org/?s=ganderson
    Richland, WA

Default Re: Possible manual error?

You basically need enough washer thickness to fill in the space at the rod ends. For the bolts you want to use at least one washer or more so that the nut engages beyond the top of the bolt at least one turn, but you don't want it to bottom out on the shank of the bolt.
    Phil Nelson
    A&P-IA, Maintenance Instructor
    KF 5 Outback, Cont. IO-240
    Flying since 2016

Greg - manufacturing tolerances may cause a situation where what is in the manual becomes a suggestion. The "bearing" washers are there to take up slop - sometimes it is two washers of the same thickness, sometimes one of each. The thick and thin washers under nuts and bolt heads are yours to choose from to get the correct exposed thread and ensure you don't end up with a "shanked out" condition. The washer goes under the part of the fastener you turn - preferably the nut, and you want at least one thread but not more that three threads showing past the nut. Right or wrong in the eyes of others, I've changed bolt length and washer stack ups throughout the plane due to these tolerance issues. OBTW - the rule most folks observe is no more than three washers in a normal bolted joint. You may already be familiar with the preceding but just in case . . . . . . . .

Once again, Phil and I are typing at the same time. Crazy.

Thanks for the quick replies! I guess it's the retired Boeing Engineer in me... Always had to have everything spelled out in instructions or the Lead Engineer would catch it!

I do know about the needed threads showing and not bottoming out the bolt, but it's good to be reminded. I've learned a lot already in the little time I've spent on the plane, even though I've been reading about home-building for years.
    Greg Anderson
    7SS in "production" : https://eaabuilderslog.org/?s=ganderson
    Richland, WA

Like Phil said. The drawing might be indicating 1 thick & 1 thin also... on one end the arrow is pointing directly to the forward washer, and on the other end it's pointing directly to the rear washer (even though they're both indicated as a pair with the lines). Bottom line... whatever it takes. I assume you're talking about the circled washers which are used as spacers.
    John Evens
    Arvada, CO
    Kitfox SS7 N27JE
    EAA Lifetime
    Chap. 43 honorary Lifetime

And I didn't see/read Darrel's post!
    John Evens
    Arvada, CO
    Kitfox SS7 N27JE
    EAA Lifetime
    Chap. 43 honorary Lifetime