Kitfox Aircraft Stick and Rudder Stein Air Grove Aircraft TCW Technologies Dynon Avionics AeroLED MGL Avionics Leading Edge Airfoils Desser EarthX Batteries Garmin G3X Touch

Thread: Rotax Alternator

Default Rotax Alternator

This is an excellent study/article on the Rotax alternator (dynamo). It was translated from French to English. I found it very interesting. It confirms that the output current is limited and associated wiring need only to be protected and able to carry 20 A maximum.

http://contrails.free.fr/elec_alt_rotax_en.php
    John Evens
    Arvada, CO
    Kitfox SS7 N27JE
    EAA Lifetime
    Chap. 43 honorary Lifetime

Default Re: Rotax Alternator

Thanks John - a great find. I wondered how long it would put out the 20-21 A - now we know.

Excellent find John. Thanks for this importanty info!
    Somebody said that carrier pilots were the best in the world, and they must be or there wouldn't be any of them left alive. — Ernie Pyle

Brett Butler
    Flying: 1998 Model 5 Outback, 912ul Zipper 110hp, G3x avionics, ss7 upgrades

Very interesting. Thanks john!

I found the amps vs rpm graph especially interesting. It indicates that almost the full output of the alternator is available at 1000 rpm. I don't see that on my airplane when I have everything powered up I see a voltage of just over 12.5 volts when idling at about 1500-2000 rpm while taxiing and it fluctuates as the (old fashion xenon) strobes fire. When I check the voltage at run up with 4000 rpm I am at about 14 volts with almost no fluctuation.