Kitfox Aircraft Stick and Rudder Stein Air Grove Aircraft TCW Technologies Dynon Avionics AeroLED MGL Avionics Leading Edge Airfoils Desser EarthX Batteries Garmin G3X Touch

Thread: Rudder connections

Default Rudder connections

Hey Guys,I've been lurking this site for two decades and finally picked up my project last year.As I'm about to cover the fuselage I am checking all the previous owners work and I found a questionable cable end/nicropress connection which I want to re-do.
    I just discovered the rudder horn that the cables connect to is by way of turnbuckles.My Kitfox 5 manual doesn't show these and the online manual for the 7 shows link plates not turn buckles.Does anyone have any info on this situation ? I am skeptical of the turnbuckles,seems they add potential trouble where they aren't really needed.Any info would be greatly appreciated...Gerry

Default Re: Rudder connections

No, you do not need turnbuckles, just use the link plates. Turnbuckles are only needed if you don't want to spend any effort lining up the pedals and rudder before you swage the cables at the rudder horn. Just line up and hold all the pedals in neutral, then line up and hold the rudder in neutral, then swage the cable eyes to fit. Micro-perfection is not required; your feet will never notice a small error.
    Jim Ott
    Portland, OR
    Kitfox SS7 flying
    Rotax 912ULS

Thank you Jim

I agree they aren't necessary but if you are thinking about whether you can salvage the existing cables there is no reason the turnbuckles can't be used. They are definitely overkill, but can be used.
    John Brannen
    Morris, IL
    Sonerai IIL (Single Seat)
    Kitfox 3/4 1050 - Rotax 582 (Back Flying and sold)
    Kitfox IV 1050 - Rotax 582 (sold)
    Kitfox IV 1200 Speedster - Rotax 912 UL (project)
    Piper Twin Comanche (Sold)
    Glasair 1 FT (Waiting to start)