Kitfox Aircraft Stick and Rudder Stein Air Grove Aircraft TCW Technologies Dynon Avionics AeroLED MGL Avionics Leading Edge Airfoils Desser EarthX Batteries Garmin G3X Touch
Page 3 of 3 FirstFirst 123

Thread: Classic IV build engine suggestions and WHY!

Default Re: Classic IV build engine suggestions and WHY!

Quote Originally Posted by 109JB View Post
    That is in my opinion the greatest thing about the Kitfox. Sounds like for you a basic 582 powered fox would fill the bill right now. Later on if you want there are different landing gears, tires, engines, props, skis, floats, amphibious floats, and so on. You can start off basic and move from there if you want.
    That is what I am thinking but it is early.

Thanks
    EK~

Great discussion. My first build flew in 1998. Rotax 912ul. First 9 years a group of us flew from California to the back countey - improved strips - of Idaho. The first two years one of the guys flew behind a 582. Being a close nit group we always stayed together in loose formation. That meant the 582 guy set the pace. Only one issue I remember. On the way home one year approaching the Sierra Mountains, mr. 582 was concerned with climb capabilities on a rather warm afternoon. We all stopped and he unloaded all of his camping gear onto other guys planes. Then we all departed. He found that he still would be unable to clear the mountains and graciously told the rest of us to continue on. Embarrassingly we learned that our buddy spent the cold night half way up the mountains on a dirt road without camping gear. I had no issues in 900 hours with that engine. My second Model IV also has a 912ul. Purchased used with 250 hours. The plan is to go to the 100hp + Zipper kit as funds become available. Interestly, the guy with the 582 went to the 912UL and later added the Zipper Kit and no issues. Another friend had a IV with the Jabiru. Retorquing the head bolts every 50 hours ?? Adding oil after every flight ?? Not for me. Granted when Rotax went to the ULS there were issues early with start and shut down - witnessed that, but issues? Thousands out there and only the ones with the occasional issues talk about them. A much clearer picture of dependability would emerge if everyone posted issues or non issues after each hundred hours. Just my opinion
    Lowell Fitt
    Goodyear, AZ

My You Tube Channel

Quote Originally Posted by HighWing View Post
    Great discussion. My first build flew in 1998. Rotax 912ul. First 9 years a group of us flew from California to the back countey - improved strips - of Idaho. The first two years one of the guys flew behind a 582. Being a close nit group we always stayed together in loose formation. That meant the 582 guy set the pace. Only one issue I remember. On the way home one year approaching the Sierra Mountains, mr. 582 was concerned with climb capabilities on a rather warm afternoon. We all stopped and he unloaded all of his camping gear onto other guys planes. Then we all departed. He found that he still would be unable to clear the mountains and graciously told the rest of us to continue on. Embarrassingly we learned that our buddy spent the cold night half way up the mountains on a dirt road without camping gear. I had no issues in 900 hours with that engine. My second Model IV also has a 912ul. Purchased used with 250 hours. The plan is to go to the 100hp + Zipper kit as funds become available. Interestly, the guy with the 582 went to the 912UL and later added the Zipper Kit and no issues. Another friend had a IV with the Jabiru. Retorquing the head bolts every 50 hours ?? Adding oil after every flight ?? Not for me. Granted when Rotax went to the ULS there were issues early with start and shut down - witnessed that, but issues? Thousands out there and only the ones with the occasional issues talk about them. A much clearer picture of dependability would emerge if everyone posted issues or non issues after each hundred hours. Just my opinion
    Wow, some very good points, got some high mountains out there. the 3 H's are tough. wait till very early morning and try again. Well I believe there a lot of those 582's flying around doing very well at what they do get around. I might try one out not sure, and then switch later on.

Thanks
    EK~