Kitfox Aircraft Stick and Rudder Stein Air Grove Aircraft TCW Technologies Dynon Avionics AeroLED MGL Avionics Leading Edge Airfoils Desser EarthX Batteries Garmin G3X Touch
Page 2 of 3 FirstFirst 123 LastLast

Thread: Classic IV build engine suggestions and WHY!

Default Re: Classic IV build engine suggestions and WHY!

Quote Originally Posted by avidflyer View Post
    Not John, but here is a video of Joey Myers flying on one of his trips between California and Idaho's Johnson Creek. His trusty 582 in an Avid Flyer. He has quite a few other vids if you look through his channel. Another guy who is on the AvidFoxFlyers Forum flew his 582 powered Avid from California to Conneticut. JImChuk
    https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=O5cqalZuONw tried the link after I posted it and it didn't work for me. look for Headed to McCall ILov2fly that's the name Joey goes by on utube.
    Ok nice videos he has. Im interested in both if I can find a decently low time 912 Ill do it but the 582 might work for me with the occasional trip out of PA. Mostly withing 100-200 miles of KHZL.

Ed~

Quote Originally Posted by 109JB View Post
    Well not that far yet because I only got it last fall. However I have had it about 100 miles from home. That's only because I haven't had the time or opportunity to take it anywhere especially since this whole COVID-19 thing started. With the 2-stroke the concern for me is not going on a cross country somewhere, which would be constant RPM cruise conditions. The concern, which is not really a concern, is stuff like take-off and landing practice where temps and RPM are up, then down, then up, then down. I say it is not really a concern meaning I'm not afraid of it. It just requires minding the store so to speak. In colder weather particularly I have found you need to pay more attention to engine temps in the 2-stroke.
    John,
    I have been reading the Rotax site materials and I believe that Rotax has optimized the 582 to be a more reliable power plant now. They have been around for a while........I like having a true aviation engine in my airplane (not ready yet but need to think about it) not a car conversion. Any other help would be appreciated. I would actually like to fly with someone in thier 582 powered KF if there any Kitfoxxes near me in PA. ??

Ed~

only one thing I can say. you get what you pay for. with that, I'm going to fly my kitfox 4 with the 912uls and have a ball, with no worries. have a nice day.
    steve
    slyfox
    model IV 1200-flying
    912uls
    IVO medium in-flight
    RV7A-flying
    IO-360
    constant speed prop

Ok, Thanks for the input.

EK~

I wasn't trying to be a smart... but I use to have the 912ul, it did do quite well with that engine. I flew the pants off the old engine. I upgraded my engine a few years ago to the uls, wow! that was very nice. I love the power and the cruise is right at 115mph with 27.5 tires. take off is out of site, although I do have the IVO inflight adjustable medium. All around performance is outstanding and all I can say is I love my kitfox. you need to figure out what you want in your airplane, not how far out you are going to go, but what you want for each flight. If you don't want all the power, you just pull back on the throttle, I do that a lot for low and slow, but when I want to get with the program and get to where I want to play, I got the speed. take care.
    steve
    slyfox
    model IV 1200-flying
    912uls
    IVO medium in-flight
    RV7A-flying
    IO-360
    constant speed prop

Quote Originally Posted by Slyfox View Post
    I wasn't trying to be a smart... but I use to have the 912ul, it did do quite well with that engine. I flew the pants off the old engine. I upgraded my engine a few years ago to the uls, wow! that was very nice. I love the power and the cruise is right at 115mph with 27.5 tires. take off is out of site, although I do have the IVO inflight adjustable medium. All around performance is outstanding and all I can say is I love my kitfox. you need to figure out what you want in your airplane, not how far out you are going to go, but what you want for each flight. If you don't want all the power, you just pull back on the throttle, I do that a lot for low and slow, but when I want to get with the program and get to where I want to play, I got the speed. take care.
    No offense taken but I noticed. Anyway. I dont want to take out a builders loan for a Kitfox build, and I'm not made of money. I just wanted to tap the knowledge potential of the forum to the fullest extent. So far the answers were not what I expected, so I AM getting good feedback and tips. I hear about certified engines going quiet all the time, some with one hour some with 1,200hrs. Last year two of the best builders/ pilots around here were lost to a supposed engine out situation 5 miles from the airport and went in the swamp in NEPA. The engine was one of the more expensive well renowned and the plane was an RV.............

I always thought that two strokes were really unreliable and doing some research and putting out the feelers here, I stand corrected! So I was considering a Viking but looks like a lot of complexity under the cowl. Rotax has been around for a long time, as well as Hirth (even longer). I read the history of the Rotax engines and the downfalls and Rotax has improved the line. I have also read that Rotax has reduced the two stroke line down to just the 582......................I know the TBO is 300hrs and haw much a rebuild costs and the 912 tbo is wayyyyyy longer but the rebuild is more (as expected). So they balance out with the exception of HP. There is an autogyro that flies over my house all the time at about 3000ft and its a two stroke enclosed cabin (when it came down for a low pass I noticed this) and looks cool.

So keep your thoughts , Ideas and suggestions coming because I am being informed all the time.
    Thank you
    Edwin (Ed) Kania

when I got the engine from John at kitfox I went to pilot bank for the money. I got the engine, all firewall forward and the prop. I have since paid off the loan by doubling up on the payments, I am now loan free and the kitfox is all mine. I think I now have about 800 hrs on the engine and running very nice. I use auto fuel and with 10% alki and it hasn't missed a beat. I figure I will be able to put a bunch of hours on this engine. I personally wanted the most horsepower and the lightest aircraft possible, mine is right at 650, but I have some super things on my bird. Like grove gear, 27.5 tires, tail wheel is the T3 with the 8inch matco, love that.
    steve
    slyfox
    model IV 1200-flying
    912uls
    IVO medium in-flight
    RV7A-flying
    IO-360
    constant speed prop

Quote Originally Posted by Slyfox View Post
    when I got the engine from John at kitfox I went to pilot bank for the money. I got the engine, all firewall forward and the prop. I have since paid off the loan by doubling up on the payments, I am now loan free and the kitfox is all mine. I think I now have about 800 hrs on the engine and running very nice. I use auto fuel and with 10% alki and it hasn't missed a beat. I figure I will be able to put a bunch of hours on this engine. I personally wanted the most horsepower and the lightest aircraft possible, mine is right at 650, but I have some super things on my bird. Like grove gear, 27.5 tires, tail wheel is the T3 with the 8inch matco, love that.
    Well My plane is not going to be a tail wheel at least for now with the covid stuff and all getting certd is hard. but I live near lots of airports and lots of private land that I cannot land on so the cool tires are out for now. I want a plane that I can go fly and get away from the world and take it all in. Just me and my dog. Taking trips long and short. not interested in sand bar hopping or landing on mountains (for now) just like to cruise.

EK~

That is in my opinion the greatest thing about the Kitfox. Sounds like for you a basic 582 powered fox would fill the bill right now. Later on if you want there are different landing gears, tires, engines, props, skis, floats, amphibious floats, and so on. You can start off basic and move from there if you want.
    John Brannen
    Morris, IL
    Sonerai IIL (Single Seat)
    Kitfox 3/4 1050 - Rotax 582 (Back Flying and sold)
    Kitfox IV 1050 - Rotax 582 (sold)
    Kitfox IV 1200 Speedster - Rotax 912 UL (project)
    Piper Twin Comanche (Sold)
    Glasair 1 FT (Waiting to start)

the best tires on the fox by far are the 22" nanco's ran those for a long time.
    steve
    slyfox
    model IV 1200-flying
    912uls
    IVO medium in-flight
    RV7A-flying
    IO-360
    constant speed prop