Kitfox Aircraft Stick and Rudder Stein Air Grove Aircraft TCW Technologies Dynon Avionics AeroLED MGL Avionics Leading Edge Airfoils Desser EarthX Batteries Garmin G3X Touch
Page 2 of 2 FirstFirst 12

Thread: Classic IV build engine suggestions and WHY!

Hybrid View

Previous Post Previous Post   Next Post Next Post

Default Re: Classic IV build engine suggestions and WHY!

Quote Originally Posted by FoxHunter View Post
    John,
    What is the furthest you have flown in a KF IV with the 582 in miles?

EK~
    Well not that far yet because I only got it last fall. However I have had it about 100 miles from home. That's only because I haven't had the time or opportunity to take it anywhere especially since this whole COVID-19 thing started. With the 2-stroke the concern for me is not going on a cross country somewhere, which would be constant RPM cruise conditions. The concern, which is not really a concern, is stuff like take-off and landing practice where temps and RPM are up, then down, then up, then down. I say it is not really a concern meaning I'm not afraid of it. It just requires minding the store so to speak. In colder weather particularly I have found you need to pay more attention to engine temps in the 2-stroke.
    John Brannen
    Morris, IL
    Sonerai IIL (Single Seat)
    Kitfox 3/4 1050 - Rotax 582 (Back Flying and sold)
    Kitfox IV 1050 - Rotax 582 (sold)
    Kitfox IV 1200 Speedster - Rotax 912 UL (rebuilt and now flying)
    Piper Twin Comanche (Sold)
    Glasair 1 FT (Waiting to start)

Default Re: Classic IV build engine suggestions and WHY!

Quote Originally Posted by 109JB View Post
    Well not that far yet because I only got it last fall. However I have had it about 100 miles from home. That's only because I haven't had the time or opportunity to take it anywhere especially since this whole COVID-19 thing started. With the 2-stroke the concern for me is not going on a cross country somewhere, which would be constant RPM cruise conditions. The concern, which is not really a concern, is stuff like take-off and landing practice where temps and RPM are up, then down, then up, then down. I say it is not really a concern meaning I'm not afraid of it. It just requires minding the store so to speak. In colder weather particularly I have found you need to pay more attention to engine temps in the 2-stroke.
    John,
    I have been reading the Rotax site materials and I believe that Rotax has optimized the 582 to be a more reliable power plant now. They have been around for a while........I like having a true aviation engine in my airplane (not ready yet but need to think about it) not a car conversion. Any other help would be appreciated. I would actually like to fly with someone in thier 582 powered KF if there any Kitfoxxes near me in PA. ??

Ed~