Kitfox Aircraft Stick and Rudder Stein Air Grove Aircraft TCW Technologies Dynon Avionics AeroLED MGL Avionics Leading Edge Airfoils Desser EarthX Batteries Garmin G3X Touch

Thread: Cleaning New Fuel Hoses

Default Cleaning New Fuel Hoses

I am in the middle of doing my 5-year (after 7 years actually) Rotax rubber replacement. I know brand new fuel hoses can have dirt particles inside and was wondering what is the best method for cleaning them before installation? Is just blowing compressed air thru them good enough; maybe pour some fuel thru? Is there any kind of swab anyone has used that can be pulled thru? Comments?
    Jim Ott
    Portland, OR
    Kitfox SS7 flying
    Rotax 912ULS

Default Re: Cleaning New Fuel Hoses

Hey Jim,

I can share what I do...others likely have different additional or different procedures.

I never trust any new item;(goes for oil hoses, filters and fuel pumps too). Normally I cut to length first because some crud can be shed just from cutting a hose and drop down inside. I also examine the cut ends carefully as far as can be seen down the hose to assure there are no flaps of rubber sticking out. I flush the fuel hose with a generous supply of the fuel I normally use in the plane and run it out into a white coffee filter which will tell a person pretty quick if there was any loose stuff inside. Finally blow it out with CA and install immediately to prevent any crickets/spiders/etc from becoming a problem.
    Dave S
    Kitfox 7 Trigear (Flying since 2009)
    912ULS Warp Drive

St Paul, MN