Kitfox Aircraft Stick and Rudder Stein Air Grove Aircraft TCW Technologies Dynon Avionics AeroLED MGL Avionics Leading Edge Airfoils Desser EarthX Batteries Garmin G3X Touch

Thread: Copilot Seat Belt Mount Tab Touching Header Tank

Default Copilot Seat Belt Mount Tab Touching Header Tank

I test fit the header tank today and noted how close it comes to the seat belt outboard, copilot seat belt mounting tab. The belt wont actually mount to the frame as instructed without hitting the header tank.

The seat belt mount tab is different in the manual than it is on my seat belt. Here is a video of what I'm talking about: https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=9bL1NRIMBvo

Anyone dealt with this? What should I do? I'm thinking I should re-drill the seat belt mount hole on the tab. I don't want to damage the structural integrity of the belt. I could also bend the seat belt tab.
    Roger
    Building
    STi, 912is

Default Re: Copilot Seat Belt Mount Tab Touching Header Tank

You can fashion up a means to mount the header tank slightly more inboard. I have to struggle to get my hardware on but it does come together.
    Eddie Forward
    Flying
    SS7, 912iS, Garmin G3X

Not only did I not have space but the tab was welded or drilled where the belt tab wouldn’t marry with the fuselage tag. I’m rebuilding a 1990’s IV Classic. I fabricated a steel extension that bolts to the frame and then the belt tabs.
    Mike Kahle
    Jackson, MO
    IV Classic 582
    RV-12is building

Put the seatbelt in temporarily and see what it takes to remount the header tank further up and inboard, which may mean new holes in the four tabs on the header tank. I don't think there is any problem with putting the seatbelt on the outboard side of the tab if that would help.
    Phil Nelson
    A&P-IA, Maintenance Instructor
    KF 5 Outback, Cont. IO-240
    Flying since 2016

You’ll need to bend the tab on the Crow seat belt to clear the header tank. Not a big deal, just be ginger with it.

Too bad I didn't realize it until after I finished installing the tank . A little warning in the manual would be very helpful here.