Kitfox Aircraft Stick and Rudder Stein Air Grove Aircraft TCW Technologies Dynon Avionics AeroLED MGL Avionics Leading Edge Airfoils Desser EarthX Batteries Garmin G3X Touch
Page 5 of 46 FirstFirst 12345678915 ... LastLast

Thread: Project 5 build thread

Default Re: Project 5 build thread

Thanks John. It does appear suspiciously like the cans are the same size and have equal amounts of goo inside. I've been eye balling two part adhesives since I was a kid flying model airplanes. For stuff like gap filling I imagine Hysol is tolerant but to be thorough and safe I'd like to get an electronic scale. I also want one to weigh every component that goes on the plane (the old saying, "sweat the ounces and the pounds take care of themselves" applies), but it will obviously be a different scale.

The paint was fully cured last night so I went through the whole clean, test fit, lubricate, assemble, cleco, rivet process. When it came time to fit the rudder pedals back on I got to learn where the thin washers that fell out when I disassembled everything came from. My calipers came in handy for sure.

I do not understand why the manual says to torque the pedal pivot bolts to 20-25 inch pounds, because they bind up tight when you do that. This isn't like the ball joints or purposely designed bushings that pivot, it is straight up clamping force. I got my 1-3 threads through the self locking nut with free pivoting action and called it good.

IMG_20200802_182250.jpg
    I'm starting a new tail wheel student in my Citabria tonight so I'm planning on heading over a bit early and seeing how the rudder pedals into the fuselage.

Pedal assemblies fit to the fuselage with the forward floor board in place. Thankfully the original builder did a beautiful job on the wood floor panels.
    Since the original center rudder pedal bracket was correctly made I mounted my new bracket, then squared up and clamped both outboard brackets.
    I chose not to drill the outboard holes tonight, but just clamped them in place and made sure everything was square.
    I also mounted the inboard master cylinder brackets, which also had correct hole locations drilled by the original owner.
    I'm electing to wait for another check and some better light before I drill. Maybe tomorrow.
    IMG_20200803_201735.jpg
    IMG_20200803_201747.jpg

The short version is that my pedals are in, and they operate very freely.

IMG_20200804_175303.jpg
    I brought my Cleveland master cylinders to do a dry run. I loosely fit a master cylinder before realizing it was backwards. Like I said, dry run.

Knowing my next several steps I wanted to put my hands on those parts and see how they fit. You can see I got out the rest of the floor boards.

Based on my reading on this forum I'm using a type of Tinnerman nut on the fuselage tabs to retain the floor boards.
    On one of my Aircraft Spruce binges I ordered countersunk washers and screws and had to make some guesses. I like the way it turned out.
    IMG_20200804_174830.jpg
    The wood looks splotchy in this pic but much better in real life. The original builder did a nice job of fitting, sanding and varnishing the wood parts.

Wow, you've been making great progress while I wasn't looking, Alex. I better get back to work!

BTW, don't toss that rudder torque tube jig you built. I have a feeling I'm going to need that...
    Eric Page
    Building: Kitfox 5 Safari | Rotax 912iS | Dynon HDX
    Member: EAA Lifetime, AOPA, ALPA
    ATP: AMEL | Comm: ASEL, Glider | ATCS: CTO
    Map of Landings

Well how about a little un-progress then?

Once the rudder bracket holes were drilled the next step is to remove it all and ream, debur, touch up the holes, etc.

For the sake of being thorough I decided to clean up the floor mounting tabs, which of course exposed bare steel. There were also a few places where I had run out of red or could have used a heavier coat. Stuck in a cycle where I would have to buy another can two part primer to touch up the steel plus another red and clear, I decided to get my money's worth out of the primer.

I stripped out everything in the forward cabin and I sanded the tubes of the vertical fin until they were smooth.

With the gear off I had my son help me rotate the fuselage to various angles so I could get all the spots, including a couple places of exposed steel with light surface rust.

Wouldn't you know it, I ran out of red again! I put the fuselage away and drove to the paint shop Friday. I'm sure I need way less than half a can, but with the 24hr turn around + no weekend hours, this time I ordered two cans.

I told the counter guy that it seemed like the primer and clear go a lot farther than the color coat and he confirmed it's true.
    IMG_20200807_163339.jpg
    So I'm dead in the water until Monday afternoon. Gives me time to go back through the manual and people's threads here.

"On one of my Aircraft Spruce binges I ordered countersunk washers and screws and had to make some guesses. I like the way it turned out."

They did come out nice.

I understand all to much about un-progress!

Looking good.
    Somebody said that carrier pilots were the best in the world, and they must be or there wouldn't be any of them left alive. — Ernie Pyle

Brett Butler
    Flying: 1998 Model 5 Outback, 912ul Zipper 110hp, G3x avionics, ss7 upgrades

Default Moving forward finally!

Over a few late afternoons last week I was finally able to get the red color coat and the clear sprayed, and gave it 48 hours to cure in a warm hangar.
    Today was my 9/80 day off, which I selfishly reserve for my own interests.
    I started the day by flying to W10, Whidbey island air park in my Citabria for the best coffee and breakfast sandwich anywhere on earth.
    Then I came back and got to work on the kitfox.
    IMG_20200811_170912.jpg
    First image is from last week with the last of the spraying done. You can see I removed everything except the flaperon mixer and the tail wheel, mostly because I got tired of cleaning up overspray
    So today was a day to start putting the flight controls back in. My hangar neighbor assisted me getting the main gear back on (non aerospace hardware for now) so I can roll it around, and of course sit in it to make airplane noises.
    Previously the outer bearings in the rudder pedals would spin freely but not if torqued to 30 inch pounds by the book.
    So before installing them I used my drill press to remove just enough material for a slip fit when torqued. Cleaned everything up and lubed everything with LPS. I'm quite happy with the way they move when installed now.
    IMG_20200814_151006.jpg
    I only had time to get the control column (stick assemblies) in with finger tight hardware before I had to run home and watch grand kids for a while.

I was so looking forward to the Coffee there at Whidbey Island. My best friend had a house just about a mile from that little strip and I had big plans to fly there to visit. I did scope out the location and had breakfast there when I was visiting him before my plane was finished. Now I have little reason to fly that far north. Neat place.
    Eddie Forward
    Flying
    SS7, 912iS, Garmin G3X

This isn't going to look like I made much progress, but this was several hours of work.
    IMG_20200815_143947.jpg
    Refitting the control column I realized that when I installed everything for practice I didn't torque the plastic (glass filled nylon it seems) pivot block. So I did it by the book and of course it was clamped up tight.
    I messed around for a while, carefully opening up the diameter but still not getting it free.

Finally, with the block assembled and torqued I measured the ID with my calipers and the tube, to discover that it was large enough in the fore-aft direction but about 0.020" shy in the vertical direction. That explained everything so I continued to work on removing just enough material to have a round hole.

Then it was on to the push pull tubes for aileron, flaps and elevator and eventually on to the floor boards.

Hopefully I'll get more time on it today. The goal is to bring the fuselage and tail feathers home so I can dedicate more time on it

It has been a pretty busy week so not much time to devote to the build. I did get my elevator push-pull thrust bearing bonded in place yesterday, and today I refit the push-pull tube and bell crank. Nothing torqued permanently, just another dry run. The controls still seem to work smoothly.

I also spent some time fitting the floor boards with the countersunk washers and screws. The left rear board needed a bit of trimming to lay flush at the top edge. I could have used a longer screw and put some preload on the board but it seemed better to just make it fit properly. The first time I have to mix up some epoxy varnish I'll touch up the exposed edge I created.