Kitfox Aircraft Stick and Rudder Stein Air Grove Aircraft TCW Technologies Dynon Avionics AeroLED MGL Avionics Leading Edge Airfoils Desser EarthX Batteries Garmin G3X Touch
Page 10 of 46 FirstFirst ... 6789101112131420 ... LastLast

Thread: Project 5 build thread

Default Re: Project 5 build thread

Quote Originally Posted by alexM View Post
    The first time I did the task it must have taken two hours to get the top and bottom bolts in, and I must have dropped bolts inside the vertical fin 100 times. I have an idea cooking in my head for a tool (a chunk of my career has been aerospace tool design) to make the job easier. Last night I prototyped my concept by taking a piece of frog tape about 9" long and slicing it into thin strips. I put the thin strip up near the head of the bolt and brought the two ends together in a sloppy tail. Then, grabbing the taped part of the bolt with a pair of needle nose and sticking the tail to the needle nose, I installed the first bolt in seconds.
    As usual, there's a tool for that! A few cents cheaper from EAA, if that's all you're ordering.
    Eric Page
    Building: Kitfox 5 Safari | Rotax 912iS | Dynon HDX
    Member: EAA Lifetime, AOPA, ALPA
    ATP: AMEL | Comm: ASEL, Glider | ATCS: CTO
    Map of Landings

I usually use a pair of long hemostats for jobs like that. The tips flex enough to hold an AN3 bolt and they can be unlocked with one hand.
    Phil Nelson
    A&P-IA, Maintenance Instructor
    KF 5 Outback, Cont. IO-240
    Flying since 2016

Inching forward. I had a bit of time to burn waiting for my Aircraft Spruce order. It was scheduled to show up yesterday but somewhere during the week I got an alert from UPS saying there had been an issue with the truck and the arrival would be TBD.
    That order contained my Super Fill and my epoxy varnish, which I would need before getting far. I busied myself making the cross-wise rib braces and tacking them first with superglue and then filleting with Hysol. I got the lower ribs all fit flush to the tail post fairing, then glued and clamped those ribs using thick steel rulers to help keep the fairing fare. With every batch of Hysol I mixed up I was able to fillet the tail end of all the fin ribs to the fairing.
    PXL_20201024_000841707.jpg
    The pic above was taken before I came back and cleaned things up. I'm getting better at applying adhesive but still glad this area will get covered up. I added some flox to the Hysol to fill the gaps at the very bottom of the tail post. I'm sure this is a potential water trap so I wanted it filled smoothly and without holes.
    PXL_20201024_001130560.jpg
    Speaking of Hysol, above is showing the way I upped my game. I have a lifetime supply of the 3oz paper cups and tongue depressors, the cheap but pretty darn accurate digital scale (turns out my other scale really only reads in grams which would be fine for large batches of adhesive but not when you're mixing up just a little). I zero out the scale with the paper cup on it, so what you're seeing there is a tongue depressor which weighs 2.58grams.
    That irrigating syringe has now squirted several batches of adhesive. When done, I pull the plunger out and clean up the rubber piece with alcohol and just leave the other part to kick off completely. The next day I dig in there with a long screw driver and pluck out the chunk of adhesive cleanly.
    PXL_20201024_001033028.jpg
    While I was holding down the couch yesterday the UPS man showed up on the original date with my package from Spruce! Perfect timing. I had just finished creating the balsa wood pieces for the top of the vertical fin and fit them in place. The Hysol is just photo bombing here but the epoxy varnish, Super Fill, torque seal,tools etc are all new.
    PXL_20201024_000804503.jpg
    Prior to bonding and clamping, which I did last night.
    PXL_20201024_173451277.jpg
    This morning I shaped the wood starting with 80 grit and my random orbit sander, then 120, and then I hand sanded with 120 to create "a pleasing shape" per the directions in the manual.
    Before opening up my Super Fill I pulled out the old containers which came with my project. I wanted to see if they were still usable. The old stuff seemed stiff so I wrote it off, which is a shame because I was clearly the first person to open the containers.
    After I opened the new containers I realized it was pretty stiff material too, though not like the old stuff. I mixed it up and while I can't say it "flows" it was at least easier to stir and mix (note: It's also pretty cold here today, which of course makes everything not flow very well).

My youngest son wants to learn to make fiberglass parts, so I might give him the old stuff which might still work for making a plug.

The Super Fill says it needs to cure above 70 degrees F which my garage definitely is not today, so my radiant heater that is normally pointed at me is pointed at the tail of my plane. It's all warm to the touch (not hot) but the cure time means I'm dead in the water for sanding tail parts until tomorrow sometime.

So I went forward to the center console side walls where I needed to open up the #30 pilots and deburr everything with my new tool. I need to install my new batch of Click-bond nutplates, which will require an hour or so of prep to get them ready (and I'll need my heater back).
    Last edited by alexM; 10-24-2020 at 02:34 PM.
    Kitfox 5 (under construction)
    Commercial SE/ME, CFII

My engine
    I made the deposit so I guess I'm out of excuses for not bringing up my choice of power. I'm going with the Verner Scarlett 7U radial. My build slot should result in a delivery in July, which is about exactly when I think I will be ready for it.
    Scarlett 7U.jpg
    My project came with the series 7 FWF kit for the Rotax 912, which is of course the engine that everyone says I should just shut up and install. I'm not a Rotax hater but they also don't stir my soul. I have about 200 hours flying behind radials so far and they do stir my soul just fine, thank you. Yes I strongly considered just going with the 912 and I would probably have been happy with that.

Arguments for the 912:
    Resale value. I will own this plane for many years and will likely hand it over to one of my kids when I'm through with it. Resale has zero consideration for me.
    Proven dependability. Rotax has, after 20+ years, demonstrated that the 912 is as reliable as Continental and Lycoming. That is statistical truth and must be acknowledged. I can't help but notice the price has crept up to parity also, especially if you want anything more than 100.0 hp for takeoff. From what I read while the 912 was still on my short list, the aftermarket upgrades to the 912 for anything above 100.0 hp don't enjoy the same reputation for reliability/longevity as the factory warranted version.

Arguments for the Verner:
    I'm already accustomed to pulling blades on a cold engine, waiting patiently for the oil to warm up and running my fingers through my 25W-60 lubed hair when I land. I consider it a privilege.
    124hp@2300rpm for takeoff and 103hp@2000rpm continuous.
    288 ft lbs of torque at 2,000rpm. It can swing an 82" prop, which right now is my only "problem".
    Mogas or 100LL no issue (7.8:1 compression ratio and no gearbox to foul)
    The current TBO of 1,000 hours is conservative and will go up over time (just like the 912 did)
    Dual spark, electronic ignition with individual coils. Yes dual ignition is an option, and a no brainer.
    Direct drive.
    Engine preheat not required above -5C (gotta love those iron curtain guys).
    Weight of the installed engine will be slightly more than a 912 ULS and less than a 914, which means way less than an O-200, O-235, etc. FAR lighter than the Rotec radials.

I once posted a link in an engine thread here that got removed, probably because it looked like I was shilling a product. No link this time, but feel free to look up Samson Mite Verner 9S startup and flyby with Steve Wolf. He fires it up at about the 3:40 mark.

And while I was worried that I'd be the only guy on earth trying to do this I have since learned of a guy back east that now owns the Rotec powered Kitfox that shows up in the kitfox literature, and he has pulled the Rotec and is installing the Scarlett 9S (like Steve is running in his Samson Mite above). I now also know of at least one other guy who has pulled the trigger on the Scarlett 7 also. So while I may be crazy, I'm not alone.
    Commercial SE/ME, CFII

Your wife and kids have probably already claimed first ride after testing, but I'm next! That thing is going to be spectacular.
    Eric Page
    Building: Kitfox 5 Safari | Rotax 912iS | Dynon HDX
    Member: EAA Lifetime, AOPA, ALPA
    ATP: AMEL | Comm: ASEL, Glider | ATCS: CTO
    Map of Landings

A few pictures I forgot to post after last weekend's work. I sanded the smurf poo down and was pleased enough with the way it came out that I do not see a need to apply more. I did take several pictures of the finished shape and they all make it look like I have flat spots or ridges when close examination in person shows it to be smooth all over. I'm going to have to pull the rudder off to get those back corners perfect, and of course I still need to do the ends of the horizontal stab and elevator.

PXL_20201025_235934347.jpg

At the other end of the plane I was working the center console to sidewall fasteners. These Clickbond nutplates are now fully cured. I had to grind away the finish under the nutplates so they would bond well. Unlike my application on the steel parts I don't have to touch up the primer but I did do an etch and Alodine touch up.
    PXL_20201025_025542898.jpg
    PXL_20201025_013605366.jpg
    Commercial SE/ME, CFII

Gotta love those clickbond fasteners, when I found them at OSH many years ago I was thrilled. I used them on many areas on my Series 5. Even mounted some of their studs on my engine case to support adels to hold fuel lines etc. For you current builders who haven't seen them , check out their website , might help during your build. Bruce N199CL

Yeah, I wish I had known of these. Would have simplified things a lot.
    Eddie Forward
    Flying
    SS7, 912iS, Garmin G3X

Quote Originally Posted by airlina View Post
    Gotta love those clickbond fasteners, when I found them at OSH many years ago I was thrilled. I used them on many areas on my Series 5. Even mounted some of their studs on my engine case to support adels to hold fuel lines etc. For you current builders who haven't seen them , check out their website , might help during your build. Bruce N199CL
    I discovered the Clickbond standoffs and studs several years ago in a place a big marine supply place in Seattle. Even though they're aerospace stuff and I've been in aerospace pretty much my whole career, airplane companies don't generally rush out to embrace new ideas.

At one place I worked we needed some potted inserts for honeycomb composite panels and the inserts we needed were in short supply across the globe. I found a company that made them out of plastic (OMG!) and that company offered me samples to test in our lab. They turned out to meet every requirement set for the metal ones (hint: the insert and the potting compound tear out of the panel before the insert ever fails).

If you're meticulous about surface prep, mixing and curing your adhesive then these should be good to go. I thought I would be laughed out of the room at my current employer (I'm used to it) but it turns out we use Clickbond nutplates in certain applications.
    Commercial SE/ME, CFII

Ok I’ll be watching for your flight reviews. Have been hearing a lot about the Verner and really like radials. Gonna be a great sounding and performing aircraft!
    Jeff
    KF 5
    340KF