Kitfox Aircraft Stick and Rudder Stein Air Grove Aircraft TCW Technologies Dynon Avionics AeroLED MGL Avionics Leading Edge Airfoils Desser EarthX Batteries Garmin G3X Touch
Page 40 of 46 FirstFirst ... 30363738394041424344 ... LastLast

Thread: Project 5 build thread

Default Re: Project 5 build thread

It's coming along Alex and looks good. Pretty soon you are going to have to start practicing your 'I Am Done With Covering Happy Dance'!!

Gary
    Gary (Geek) Phenning
    Leavenworth (Not the Prison), WA
    Kitfox STi in Building Stage

Building during the winter comes with its fair share of challenges. I now get x-mas cards from my propane provider...

Looking more and more like a Kitfox Alex!
    Somebody said that carrier pilots were the best in the world, and they must be or there wouldn't be any of them left alive. — Ernie Pyle

Brett Butler
    Flying: 1998 Model 5 Outback, 912ul Zipper 110hp, G3x avionics, ss7 upgrades

Looking good Alex! Have you covered before or first timer? Just looking for someone that has used both for a comparison on which is easier to apply.
    Harlan and Susan Payne
    Sold Piper Archer
    Flying FarmFox STI Kitfox N61HP
    Rotax 915is, Airmaster prop
    https://www.youtube.com/channel/UC5A...oCVUP15G0uB-Yw

First time I've covered a full size airplane. I have built a lot of models over the years from freeflight rubber powered covered with Esaki tissue paper to r/c planes covered with monokote, etc. I should make it clear that the main reason I'm covering with Oratex is because it came with my project. If it had not I would be using Polyfiber.

But I love the (preaching to the choir here) lack of toxic chemicals, sanding, spraying, fixing flaws from spraying, and all that. Plus, bottom line: lightest possible covering. Lightens the wallet too, so win/win.
    Kitfox 5 (under construction)
    Commercial SE/ME, CFII

Okay, I'm hoping to reach a big milestone soon. I worked a month straight and now I have a month off. It's a long story. I'm going to spend a week in Cabo San Lucas with my favorite (only) woman but I don't have any ferry flights or other commitments to keep me from getting some solid work done.

Prior to heading to work I had the bottom and both sides of my fuselage covered with Oratex. I did a bunch of finish tapes where the many pieces of fuselage tubing came into contact with the fabric (not required as it turns out, but good practice). I also did edge tapes, which are the same tape but applied to cover where the bottom and side pieces overlap. Starting at the tail I made it to the lift strut attach fittings and then tried to do the pieces from the firewall to the lift strut attach point.

It came out okay except that the tapes stretch as you get them to lay flat, and the edge everyone would see (just below the doors) wasn't what I hoped for. I stopped after doing one side, put away my tools and decided to look at it again when I got home. Well, I got back and took a look. Short version: Oh hell no. I used the heat gun to remove the ugly piece and spent yesterday and part of my morning today getting it all to look the way it should.

With those tapes in place I can now reinstall my landing gear and flip the plane upright. Before I do boring stuff like run wires to the stab trim actuator and indicator and cover the tail/aft fuselage I've got a goal: I'm going to hang the engine for the first time.

That's right, it's finally time.
    I could tell you that I'm doing it so I can plan out where my ignition coils and fuel pumps are going, or that I need to plan out the path of my throttle and mixture cables. But none of you are buying that. It's so I can sit in the plane and make noises.

I will put the wings on, which will allow me to complete the install of the butt ribs (precursor to doors and windshield/skylight), and I'm going to toss every part I own into the plane and weigh it (again). With the engine on I can try out both props and get an idea of my CG too.

Seeing it look like an actual airplane with a spinny thing on the front should provide the motivation I need to get the build done.

Did I say both props?
    I did. While I was away at work I got two Kitfox related packages. One was an AWB T3 tail wheel strut, and the other was a Sensenich two blade carbon prop. This is the one where you set pitch using some provided pins. I will test out my current 2000mm Meglin 3 blade carbon prop and the 78" 2 blade Sensenich carbon prop and see which one I like best. My engine importer Brett Hahn worked with the Sensenich engineers who selected the design based on engine parameters and expected performance.

The blades of the Sensenich are heavier but there are only two of them. The overall weight of the prop is slightly higher but nowhere near as much as I was expecting.

I have installed the T3 tail wheel. I already owned the AWB (formerly Scott) 3200. I'm just replacing the single aluminum leaf with the T3. For those of you who have installed a T3 I've got a question. It came with the thin aluminum shim looking thing shown below.
    PXL_20230321_193220882.jpg
    It didn't exactly nest between the T3 strut and the 3200 so I left it out. What little (very little) slop there was went away when I torqued the fasteners. Does anyone know the proper application of this shim/spacer? Should I have crushed that thing in there to prevent a shimmy issue later? The T3 didn't come with any instructions and the PDF I found online doesn't mention it.

Here's a shot of the T3. I didn't take one of the Sensenich prop yet but it's coming
    PXL_20230320_202232247.jpg

With my edge tapes successfully in place I started to put my main gear back on. I had mocked it up before but this time I'm getting super careful about bolt lengths, washers etc. Some of the hardware seemed like it could benefit from slightly different length choices so the cotter pins will be in the right spot. I just dropped a will-call order on Spencer Aircraft. I hope they will have that ready tomorrow, but my experience says their inventory control is lacking. They may not have some of the things they say they do, but I hope so.

Shown below is the main gear part way back on.
    PXL_20230321_234651864.jpg
    Once the wheels are back on I'll engage some thirsty beer drinking airport neighbors to help me get it back upright. More to follow soon.
    Commercial SE/ME, CFII

I had this same question about the shim that came with the T3 tail spring, and just got this response to that question from Airframes Alaska today.

The shim is only there for tailwheels with loose fitment to the T3. If you have a new ABI-3200B then it is unlikely that the fit is loose so I would recommend removing the shim. Forcing the shim into place can cause stress on the sides of the tailwheel head and potentially cause cracking. Your torque spec is fine, do not exceed it to try and force the shim into place.
    I should mention that the torque spec he mentions is just standard for the bolt size. I torqued mine to 38 ft lbs.
    Mike Davis
    Fairbanks, AK
    Kitfox Series 7 SS (received kit on 18 April 2023) N967MD reserved
    Rotax 916iS received, still waiting on MTV-6-R propeller
    Build log - https://n967md.dcsol.com
    Murphy Moose #195 (sold)
    1968 C150H still flying regularly
    Quicksilver MX built and registered as experimental (destroyed in wind storm)

Perfect timing then. Thank you for the reply!

I picked up my will-call order today and they had everything (!). Had lunch with my oldest brother and made my way to the hangar. I took my time setting up all the landing gear hardware, changing length by one size where needed, using L washers etc to get the cotter key location just right. For the non moving fasteners I made sure I had 2-3 threads protruding when torqued properly. Slapped the main wheels on (not the last time for that job) and hunted down some hangar neighbors to help me flip it over.
    PXL_20230322_233144716.jpg
    PXL_20230322_234925394.jpg
    Part of my hardware order was what I hope is the correct length AN4 bolts, and an assortment of washers and nuts so I could hang the engine. Let's see, I just have to figure out where to mount the radiator. Oh wait that's right - I don't have one.

I'm hoping tomorrow is as good as today was.

Question for the gallery: Why do they call them L (for light) washers, when we pick them because they're thin. Shouldn't they be T washers? Have you ever heard of someone saying they saved 2 ounces by replacing all their AN960 washers with the L version?
    Commercial SE/ME, CFII

Your tires make your plane look skinny! lol

Nice work!
    Somebody said that carrier pilots were the best in the world, and they must be or there wouldn't be any of them left alive. — Ernie Pyle

Brett Butler
    Flying: 1998 Model 5 Outback, 912ul Zipper 110hp, G3x avionics, ss7 upgrades

There had to be some distortion in that picture that made the tires look huge. They're only 26".

I successfully hung my engine today. It was raining pretty heavily so I didn't roll the plane outside. Still have to install the wings etc but I'm going to make up my whiteboard list before I get too crazy.
    PXL_20230323_200559149.jpg
    PXL_20230323_201616556.jpg
    PXL_20230323_201520438.jpg
    I even got a head start on locating coil packs and my throttle linkage. I did a mock up installation of the Sensenich 2 blade prop. My Ukrainian (Meglin) prop will have to wait for another day.
    Commercial SE/ME, CFII

That already looks really cool , Alex , you are gonna have a real unique Kitfox. I'll bet you stood back a half dozen times to admire the engine on the mount. Can't wait to hear your first test fire up of that engine. Bruce N199CL