Kitfox Aircraft Stick and Rudder Stein Air Grove Aircraft TCW Technologies Dynon Avionics AeroLED MGL Avionics Leading Edge Airfoils Desser EarthX Batteries Garmin G3X Touch
Page 14 of 46 FirstFirst ... 410111213141516171824 ... LastLast

Thread: Project 5 build thread

Default Re: Project 5 build thread

Quote Originally Posted by jiott View Post
    There is an automotive gasket remover, Loctite I think, that easily removes powder coat. Maybe someone will post the actual brand/part #. Several of us have used it years ago and it worked real well.
    Agh! I even had that stuff book marked. I should pick up a can and have it ready for next time.
    Kitfox 5 (under construction)
    Commercial SE/ME, CFII

I've got a 17' truck booked for tomorrow to move my fuselage to the hangar. I'll clean up my garage and get my saw horses that I made last summer rigged plumb and bonded to the floor of my garage. A while back I bought a Leica digital tape measure to make that job easier. Then I'm a wing factory until further notice.

Well, as Bryan Bowen says on occasion: "It's time to take a break and go flying". I have been watching for a VFR weather window to fly to Spokane. Crossing the Cascades in late December (even IFR) is something you can't plan on. It looked like yesterday might be it, and a call to Flight Service confirmed that ceilings would be FL220 all day. Winds were forecast to be 20-30 knots out of the SW.

It was foggy at my home airport but forecast was to burn off around 11am and for once that was accurate. I was gassed up and had some gifts in the plane for #2 son. I talked #3 into going along.
    PXL_20201224_213026012.jpg
    PXL_20201224_232823305.jpg
    Those familiar with Deer Park will notice that I'm at Mead here. Like I said, logistical issues.

The crab angle was quite noticeable over the Cascades but so was the 127 knot ground speed (my climb speed from Enumclaw at 3000' to 9500' was 80mph) so that was quite a shove. I normally expect it to be a bumpy ride with that kind of wind but it was super smooth. The push from behind continued the entire way and we landed at Deer Park in 1 hour 57 minutes. Not bad for a slow airplane. Some logistical issues coordinating with #2 wasted some time and we were only able to visit for about ten minutes.
    I watched the dwindling sunlight and wasn't really stoked about flying over the Cascades at night (piston single, dead of winter, unforgiving mountainous terrain, etc). I have flown westbound before and got to experience two sunsets. One seen by people living on the east side, and another once you cross the summit. Well that was in a Mooney 201 and it wasn't bucking a 30 knot headwind. Our ground speed hovered between 65 and 75 knots. It was quite dark and we were still 35 miles east of Ephrata when #3 announced that he had to pee and wouldn't make it all the way home. I had been considering fuel since I had been running "rental power" to help battle the headwind. A stop seemed in order.

I considered landing at Wenatchee but it's down in a pocket at the foot of the mountains, and getting my 8500' back would be a chore. Ephrata is quite familiar to me so I informed ATC of my intentions to make a pit stop at EPH. They had me keep my squawk code and report back in the air. I topped off the tanks while #3 shed some ballast. Not even 10 minutes and I was informing ATC I was climbing out.

We were the only GA plane I heard all evening and the only piston plane for sure. The closest companion was a Caravan hauling rubber dog crap. I dialed up the synthetic vision on my Dynon D3, a feature I normally shun. The rocks below were dark and the only bare white spots were either lakes or power line easements. I shifted course to take us up the valley that contains Ellensburg, Cle Elum etc. I would still need to cross some dark rocks with no options but at least I would be reducing risk somewhat. Meanwhile the O-320 never missed a beat, running better than ever with freshly overhauled mags. When I neared the summit where I normally take Stampede Pass I stayed to the north where I-90 would remain visible.

This time it was bumpy but not bad. Again, the plane is plenty strong. As long as I didn't get into a severe down draft it was looking good, and I'm a competent mountain flyer so I knew how to pick my path. From around Ellensburg I kept it climbing at a super shallow rate and I crossed the summit at 10,500-ish. My biggest concern wasn't the headwind or the bumps, it was the temp/dew point spread. From the summit I could see all the way home and the forecast said it would hold. It did. I would swear I woke up the tower controller at home. Landed at 7:01pm. It had taken longer to get from Ephrata to home than it did to make the entire trip eastbound. About 6 hours on the Hobbs for the day.
    Last edited by alexM; 12-25-2020 at 12:27 PM.
    Commercial SE/ME, CFII

Cool trip, Alex. Brings back some good memories. My first solo was at a Civil Air Patrol encampment in 1988, in Ephrata. While I was learning to fly I had two friends in school at WSU, so I made regular trips over there in the fall and spring. One afternoon I took off from Ellensburg to return to Auburn and found that the clouds had descended over the Cascades long before forecast, so I had to turn around and go back. Sat shivering in the plane for nearly two hours, waiting for two instructors to show up in a 172RG to rescue me and my rented 152. It worked out; I got to fly the RG home as a reward for making the right decision (and I only had to pay for the time on the 152!). Good times...
    Eric Page
    Building: Kitfox 5 Safari | Rotax 912iS | Dynon HDX
    Member: EAA Lifetime, AOPA, ALPA
    ATP: AMEL | Comm: ASEL, Glider | ATCS: CTO
    Map of Landings

Here's the video from the flight eastbound.

In other news, I moved the fuselage to my hangar today. What a s*** show that was. I know someone probably needs a good laugh, so here you go:

Lesson number 1, the horizontal stab is wider than my garage door. I was able to lift one gear leg while my youngest son herded the tail through the opening.

Lesson number 2, the horizontal stab is WAY wider than a U-haul truck. Of course it was raining and windy while I pulled the tail off the plane. I decided to leave the rudder hung because I would have plenty of room and it didn't interfere with removing the stab/elevator.

Lesson number 3, a 17' U-haul will not accept a 14' airplane. The cab over portion is apparently included in their overall length calculation. Feeling somewhat defeated and a bit stupid I doubled down. We hiked the main wheels up on the rear bumper of the truck and I tied the fuselage in place solidly (one thing I do know how to do). The 15 mile trip in nasty weather was made with the rear door open. Didn't lose so much as a chunk of pool noodle, and thankfully didn't lose the dead blow hammer I left near the door in back either (facepalm).

Once at my hangar I pulled the Citabria out. At least I knew the fuselage on gear would fit in the same exact location I had it before bringing it home, and it did. I got to see first hand how fast a piece of 4130 chrome moly will rust. It was quite visible on my unpainted COM antenna platform even after 15 minutes of fresh rain. It's just Cleco'd in place so I will make quick work of cleaning it up. I've got primer ready to go.

PXL_20201226_192546552.jpg
    All tucked in with plenty of room to spare [cough].

Today I'll be cleaning up my garage and starting on my wings. Step one, situate the saw horses.
    Commercial SE/ME, CFII

After editing my last video in the Citabria I took the plunge and created a channel just for my Kitfox build. I'm working on the wings and doing some filming of that, which will eventually become the second video.

I'm way out of my comfort zone public speaking or being in front of a camera which is probably obvious. Good to push ourselves sometimes I guess.

14 pages on this forum summed up in not quite 15 minutes of video.
    Commercial SE/ME, CFII

Sweet, I'm your first subscriber. Enjoyed the video!
    Eric Page
    Building: Kitfox 5 Safari | Rotax 912iS | Dynon HDX
    Member: EAA Lifetime, AOPA, ALPA
    ATP: AMEL | Comm: ASEL, Glider | ATCS: CTO
    Map of Landings

I enjoyed your video... good job, Alex!
    John Evens
    Arvada, CO
    Kitfox SS7 N27JE
    EAA Lifetime
    Chap. 43 honorary Lifetime

Alex , as a Series 5 builder from the same vintage , your video was interesting to me, as you discussed the differences from now to then . Your project looks good , keep the videos coming. Bruce N199CL

Very Nice Alex. Looking forward to the engine part in particular. I want a Radial. I might go there if they change the LSA rules. Nothing sexier on the Kitfox line up than a Radial. And then there is the sound.
    Eddie Forward
    Flying
    SS7, 912iS, Garmin G3X

I appreciated the feedback, thanks.

I put my deposit down for my Verner engine a while ago and have an expected delivery of July. There are some options which I included in my build. The bone stock form has single spark plug per cylinder. Now, it's electronic ignition with an individual coil on each plug so you could interpret that failure of a single plug is better than losing a mag (and losing 1 of 7 cylinders is less problematic than losing 1 of 4). Still makes my blood run cold, so I'm springing for the dual spark, dual ignition system. Haven't thought twice about that choice.

The website shows three induction options. Carb with no mixture, a Marv Schebler and EFI. When I was pestering one of the two US importers of the Verner radial he told me that, for the time being, they aren't doing the EFI. I don't hate carbs but just like twin sparks I like me some mixture control where possible. Seems, I don't know, normal.

From what I understand there isn't an issue with the EFI as much as the end users who don't know jack about fuel mapping and decide to try it anyway. Such pretty colors am I right? I can imagine the tech support could get exhaustive. I opted for the Marv Schebler, however the importer and I connected pretty well (we both do long distance motorcycle trips and appreciate internal combustion engines). I've been thinking recently about asking him if they would make an exception if someone was familiar with writing fuel maps and logging engine runs, but for the time being I am expecting a Marv Schebler carb.

Regarding the two carb options, it's no surprise many of these engines are finding their way onto WW I replica aircraft, and as such operate in the lower flight levels. Off hand I don't recall the exact reference in the specs but the non-mixture carb option is said to operate well up to around 6500'. I'm not a hardcore mountain flyer but I do mountain fly and I do expose my plane to higher density altitudes than that.
    Commercial SE/ME, CFII