Kitfox Aircraft Stick and Rudder Stein Air Grove Aircraft TCW Technologies Dynon Avionics AeroLED MGL Avionics Leading Edge Airfoils Desser EarthX Batteries Garmin G3X Touch
Page 24 of 46 FirstFirst ... 1420212223242526272834 ... LastLast

Thread: Project 5 build thread

Default Re: Project 5 build thread

Fantastic, Alex! Great to see so much progress.

A couple of thoughts on your panel. You could eliminate three switches:

1. Two could go by using a DPDT OFF-ON-ON progressive transfer switch (Carling 2GG51-73 / B&C S700-2-11) in place of two separate SPST switches.

• One to control battery and alternator field (down = both OFF, middle = battery ON, up = battery and alternator ON).
    • Another to control nav/pos and strobe lights (down = OFF, middle = nav/pos ON, up = nav/pos and strobe ON).
    • If you have two landing lights, one aimed for landing and one aimed for taxi, you could control them the same way (OFF, taxi, taxi+landing).

2. The third switch that could go is for the panel lights, if you used a dimmer potentiometer with a built-in switch, either rotary (twist to dimmest setting, then twist further to click off) or push on/push off.

Also, just a thought... instrument upgrades/additions in the future might be difficult if switches occupy the middle of the panel.
    Eric Page
    Building: Kitfox 5 Safari | Rotax 912iS | Dynon HDX
    Member: EAA Lifetime, AOPA, ALPA
    ATP: AMEL | Comm: ASEL, Glider | ATCS: CTO
    Map of Landings

I will definitely take the three position switches and dimmer/switch under advisement. The function absolutely makes sense. The only downside I see is it makes labeling the three position switches a bit more challenging.

I want all the primary switches in the center to make flying from either seat simple. As you can imagine, I have a few alternate layouts. I like the grouping of switches by function/flow as opposed to a row of identical switches across the bottom. I can tighten the spacing up a bit but it's the size of those switches and breakers on the back side which is the limiting factor. It highlights just how small the panel blank is.

Should technology ever advance beyond 2020 levels or I elect to install a weapons control panel I will just have a new panel cut.
    Kitfox 5 (under construction)
    Commercial SE/ME, CFII

Quote Originally Posted by alexM View Post
    The only downside I see is it makes labeling the three position switches a bit more challenging.
    True. See the Nuckolls book for examples of switch panel labeling. Or here.

Note that Bob's DC PWR MASTER switch is, in my view, somewhat confusingly labeled; the up position powers the alternator, but that function isn't obvious from the label. To my mind, this makes more sense:

Code:
    --------------------DC POWER-------------------- BAT +ALT B A T OFF
    I want all the primary switches in the center to make flying from either seat simple.
    Ah, yes, I forgot that you're going to fly from the right seat. Makes sense with that in mind.

I like the grouping of switches by function/flow as opposed to a row of identical switches across the bottom.
    Agreed. Note in Bob's examples how silkscreened boxes can help to visually group functionally related switches.

I can tighten the spacing up a bit but it's the size of those switches and breakers on the back side which is the limiting factor. It highlights just how small the panel blank is.
    Indeed, and the DP switches are even wider than the SP versions.
    Eric Page
    Building: Kitfox 5 Safari | Rotax 912iS | Dynon HDX
    Member: EAA Lifetime, AOPA, ALPA
    ATP: AMEL | Comm: ASEL, Glider | ATCS: CTO
    Map of Landings

"+ALT" is exactly where my mind was headed
    Commercial SE/ME, CFII

Probably not relevant, but this is how I labeled it -
    Attached Images Attached Images
    John Evens
    Arvada, CO
    Kitfox SS7 N27JE
    EAA Lifetime
    Chap. 43 honorary Lifetime

That is helpful John, thanks. Tell me about the wrinkle finish. What product did you use and how durable has it been?
    Commercial SE/ME, CFII

Quote Originally Posted by alexM View Post
    That is helpful John, thanks. Tell me about the wrinkle finish. What product did you use and how durable has it been?
    It's out of a rattle can... VHT brand, high-temp (350 deg.), purchased at a local auto supply. It has been durable, doesn't show fingerprints or dirt, and if it gets a tiny chip a black Sharpie completely hides it. I've found the key to durability with it is to use a good self-etching primer - as dark a color as you can get. I like the look (exactly what I had in my T-18 for 28 years) of the non-glare finish. I know it's not very modern, but that's the kind of guy I am, as evidenced by my round gauges.
    John Evens
    Arvada, CO
    Kitfox SS7 N27JE
    EAA Lifetime
    Chap. 43 honorary Lifetime

Last night I did an inventory of the tubs of parts I have remaining. I did it because I was about to place an online order from B&C and it sure seemed like I had seen some of the things in my shopping cart. It would not be the first time I ordered something I already had - a hazard of assuming someone else's project I guess.

Anyway my tubs of parts are split between my garage and my hangar so this afternoon I made it over to poke through those. After that I still had some free time so I used my Dremel tool and removed more material from the rear spars to allow the wings to fold. I applied several layers of tape on the spar carry through to prevent damage from an unsteady hand. Super glad I did that and might even recommend taping a layer of something thin but durable to protect the spar carry through even better. But in the end I was able to fold my wings!
    PXL_20210616_013820471.jpg
    PXL_20210616_014103473.jpg
    It's just barely enough clearance but it doesn't touch anywhere. Next time I pull the wings off I'll take the time to fine tune it and make it look nice. Not sure why it made me so happy to see the wings fold since I'm not planning on doing it very often but it was cool to see.

I'm going back tomorrow afternoon to bond my #1 ribs in place.
    Commercial SE/ME, CFII

Can anyone tell me just how far back the wings fold? Is it past perfectly straight back? With my #1 ribs bonded a very careful 35.5" from rib #3, and the wings folded back this is the first point of contact:
    PXL_20210618_011207176.jpg
    That is the left wing folded back until rib #1 touches the rear spar carry through. With both wings folded identically (which is a point a tad more than perfectly straight back) the right wing still has about 1/8" of clearance. The right one will fold until the trailing edge tips of the wing ribs almost touch the rudder. I wish I understood the potential issue here before I bonded that rib. I might have moved it outboard an 1/8" if I knew about it. Should I move it?

edit: for some reason that rib looks twisted in the image. I can assure you it is straight.
    Commercial SE/ME, CFII

The wings fold back until the flaperons (rotated vertical) contact the vertical stabilizer. Of course you put padding in that contact point which keeps the wings out somewhat. The trailing edge of the wing does not even come close to the rudder/stabilizer.
    Jim Ott
    Portland, OR
    Kitfox SS7 flying
    Rotax 912ULS