Kitfox Aircraft Stick and Rudder Stein Air Grove Aircraft TCW Technologies Dynon Avionics AeroLED MGL Avionics Leading Edge Airfoils Desser EarthX Batteries Garmin G3X Touch
Page 19 of 47 FirstFirst ... 915161718192021222329 ... LastLast

Thread: Project 5 build thread

Default Re: Project 5 build thread

Bruce,
    We don't typically have heat issues here in the PNW either but I'm definitely familiar with blast tubes. Both the BT-13 and T-6 had them pointed at the magnetos. I'll definitely consider it when I choose the location for the RDAC.
    Kitfox 5 (under construction)
    Commercial SE/ME, CFII

Ribs 3-10 are all bonded in place. Rib 10 is curing as I type this so while I could pull my right wing off the fixture as soon as tomorrow evening, I'll probably leave it sitting right there until I get back from Stick & Rudder.

Big milestone which will allow me to rig the lift strut fittings (eek!) which in turn opens the door to fuel tanks, rib 1, butt ribs, doors and my Laker leading edge. I can almost smell covering and systems installation in my future.

I have some extra trailing edge material so after I got rib 10 set tonight I got out a piece and practiced snipping on it. I'm glad I have extra because my first effort wasn't beautiful. I'm currently pondering the best way to make notch those pieces and have them look better.
    Commercial SE/ME, CFII

Quote Originally Posted by alexM View Post
    I have some extra trailing edge material so after I got rib 10 set tonight I got out a piece and practiced snipping on it. I'm glad I have extra because my first effort wasn't beautiful. I'm currently pondering the best way to make notch those pieces and have them look better.
    I'll happily trade you for mine!
    Eric Page
    Building: Kitfox 5 Safari | Rotax 912iS | Dynon HDX
    Member: EAA Lifetime, AOPA, ALPA
    ATP: AMEL | Comm: ASEL, Glider | ATCS: CTO
    Map of Landings

PXL_20210323_143000098-02.jpg
    I made my trip to Nampa/Caldwell/Greenleaf/Homedale,ID where I had a really good time flying with Stick & Rudder - and a visit to the Kitfox factory. I flew 7.8 hours and made 36 landings in all kinds of conditions. What a great little airplane.

I came back and finished bonding in the 3/8" diameter stringers. I did some dry fitting of the false ribs and the fuel tanks but didn't bond anything in place.
    PXL_20210329_015201350.jpg
    Today I borrowed a trailer and went to my hangar to get my wing rotisseries and bring them home. It seemed odd to decommission my saw horse wing build fixture but it was time. As of tonight my wings are on the rotisseries and waiting for me to do the fillets and false ribs. I'll get the fillets done for sure but I could delay the false ribs until after rigging the wing strut attach fittings if needed.

Hoping to truck my wings to the hangar next weekend and introduce them to my fuselage. Seems like a mile stone.
    Commercial SE/ME, CFII

I jumped right into the spar/rib fillets. It's an acquired skill for sure. I've finished all the rear spar fillets but I wish I had started on the front door because they're definitely going to be easier.

The work I did is "good enough" but not award winning in terms of aesthetics.
    PXL_20210331_043026699.jpg
    Yesterday my carbon fiber baggage floor arrived. Two pounds lighter than stock. I will finish both floors and carry on.PXL_20210401_204822316.jpg
    Commercial SE/ME, CFII

PXL_20210403_224358025.jpg
    I never realized my kindergarten finger printing skills were going to come in handy but here it is. I finished filleting both forward and aft spars to the ribs, and also the drag/anti drag tubes where they pass through ribs 4, 6 and 8.

Then I decided to invest some time into the false ribs. I sanded all of them on both sides with 220 using my random orbit sander. Next I carefully arranged them in a stack and sanded them with 120 to get the periphery to match up (they didn't require much help). Then I used 220 on my rubber "taco" to sand the edges of each one individually.

Several were warped so I came to the forum and did a search. I followed the advice of jtpitkin and just heated them up and worked them with my fingers. I'm going to have to revisit several of them but I decided to start bonding them to the wing. I got four bays on one wing done and stopped while I was ahead.
    PXL_20210405_001923307.jpg
    PXL_20210405_025421573.jpg
    Commercial SE/ME, CFII

To fix warped ribs I just wiped them with a damp cloth on the conCAVE side. It swells that layer of plywood and pushes the rib straight.
    Jim Ott
    Portland, OR
    Kitfox SS7 flying
    Rotax 912ULS

Thanks Jim. I saw your comments in some of the threads I found too. I'll try your method on the ones I've already hit with heat but curled back up. I have a few more that have a twist to them, which I've only worked with the heat method so far.

Fortunately it seems I have some extra ribs because of the way they did extended wing tips back in the day, so I think I'm going to have plenty of straight ribs to use.
    Commercial SE/ME, CFII

Completed the bonding of the upper false ribs and then did the layout of the hole in the to of the aft spars.
    PXL_20210408_004229423.jpg
    Manual called for drilling to 19/64 and reaming to 0.3115". My reamer is 0.3125" which will have to be close enough.
    I was pretty sure I couldn't drill straight to 19/64 without the hole walking. The manual suggests that a step drill will get you there.

So today I put my scrap wings to use by drilling several test holes in them. My step drill goes from 9/32 to 5/16 which is more than reamers are typically intended to clean up.
    Using the a #30 pilot allowed me to keep the 19/64" centered where I need it. With a dozen holes for practice I came back home and drilled them for real.
    Then I picked up a U-Haul trailer and hauled the wings to my hangar.
    I spent some time today digging through my remaining parts for the wing strut hardware and other pieces I know I'll need soon.
    PXL_20210409_210455874.jpg
    Doing some RTFM for the lift strut attach bracket, etc
    Commercial SE/ME, CFII

PXL_20210417_195447531.jpg
    This was a milestone today
    With the help of my youngest son I dropped the landing gear off and replaced it with some wood blocks and hardware store nuts and bolts. Then we got the spar attach brackets precisely located and clamped in place and we did a dry run of fitting the lower end of the lift strut attached to the fuselage.

My lift strut brackets have always been a really snug fit on the spar tubes. When I did the original layout to create the "no rivet" zone early in the wing build they never did fit tight to the spars. Today I used a piece of appropriately sized PVC pipe and a rubber hammer to give them some love and with just a few encouraging whacks they now fit really well.

I installed the rod ends in the lift struts and about that time my airport neighbor/former airplane partner showed up so I took advantage of having three sets of hands there. In about twenty minutes both wings were on the plane. Lots of work to do before I reach for a drill but it was cool seeing them in place.
    PXL_20210417_201431101.jpg
    This is a bit out of sequence to the manual because I haven't leveled anything and clamped the fuselage to planet earth. But I can't always get help so I took advantage of it while I could. I can go back by myself and attend to the leveling, and make corrections to the washers, hardware orientation etc which was hastily skipped over during this fit up.

Other trivia
    I got my box of carbon fiber arrow shafts to use for stiffening up the aluminum trailing edge pieces. Weighing and measuring the pieces I calculated that each piece cut to length will be 7 grams.

Which is great, but then just like sipping a diet coke and ordering a triple whopper with chili cheese fries and a shake - my 26" Airstreaks showed up.
    PXL_20210416_211909214.jpg
    Commercial SE/ME, CFII