Kitfox Aircraft Stick and Rudder Stein Air Grove Aircraft TCW Technologies Dynon Avionics AeroLED MGL Avionics Leading Edge Airfoils Desser EarthX Batteries Garmin G3X Touch

Thread: FlyBox Vigilus

Default FlyBox Vigilus

I am building a 7SS and plan to use a Rotax 914. Although I think that I am a year away from avionics, I have given some thought to it. Because of its wild popularity and availability of support, I will likely go with a Garmin G3X (although I really like the Dynon). I want to keep the G3X as an MFD/Moving Map, and have decided to install a separate engine monitor. I am very conscious about weight, because this is an LSA build. I have a JPI monitor in my Cessna 210 and really like it. Unfortunately JPI has not seen fit to make their displays fully compatible with Rotax and they offer only limited functionality (according to a fellow that I spoke with at the factory).

The FlyBox Vigius came to my attention when I toyed with the idea of using an Edge Performance engine. I have looked at the Vigilus specs and they seem reasonable. I saw one post on the forum about someone who planned to use this monitor in a KitFox iV rebuild. The unit is made in Italy and I can't seem to find any US support for it. It anyone out there using the Vigilus? How well has it worked? What level of support is available? I would appreciate any input.

Thanks

Fred

Building 7SS
    Plan Rotax 914
    Plan G3X

Default Re: FlyBox Vigilus

Jason Busat is north america dealer, google Badass power sports . His web site has all the info you need. I'm doing the same as you are.

Quote Originally Posted by Doggitz View Post
    I am building a 7SS and plan to use a Rotax 914. I am very conscious about weight, because this is an LSA build.

Thanks

Fred

Building 7SS
    Plan Rotax 914
    Plan G3X
    Fred I didn't think we could use a turbo and stay LSA?
    Harlan and Susan Payne
    Sold Piper Archer
    Flying FarmFox STI Kitfox N61HP
    Rotax 915is, Airmaster prop
    https://www.youtube.com/channel/UC5A...oCVUP15G0uB-Yw

Harlan:

Thanks for your response. Unless I am mistaken, the presence of a turbo is not disqualifying for an LSA. The KitFox website lists the 914 as one of the engine options for the SLSA. Also, if you look at the FAA SLSA directory, they list "FOXAIR" in their list of manufacturers (April 30, 2020). In that list, they include the Rotax 914 eith a whirlwind propeller.

If I am reading this incorrectly, I would love to know now, before I make an expensive mistake.

Thanks

Fred

Harlan:

Thanks for your response. Unless I am mistaken, the presence of a turbo is not disqualifying for an LSA. The KitFox website lists the 914 as one of the engine options for the SLSA. Also, if you look at the FAA SLSA directory, they list "FOXAIR" in their list of manufacturers (April 30, 2020). In that list, they include the Rotax 914 eith a whirlwind propeller.

If I am reading this incorrectly, I would love to know now, before I make an expensive mistake.

Thanks

Fred
    Well if that happens I'll take one for the team and swap you a 912. I'm charitable like that.

Alex:

Thanks. Seriously, I’m not trying to be sarcastic. If I goofed, or am about to, I really want to know.

Stay safe

Fred

Alex:

Thanks. Seriously, I’m not trying to be sarcastic. If I goofed, or am about to, I really want to know.

Stay safe

Fred
    Fred I was asking it more like a question. I didn't know for sure but was told you couldn't have a turbo or a cs propeller. I hope I am wrong on both counts because I am building and would like a cs prop. Some say you can have a cs prop if the controller is not in the cockpit . You can hear anything you know. I'm thinking LSA but can't decide. If they offer the 914 I am pretty sure they know more than me.
    Harlan and Susan Payne
    Sold Piper Archer
    Flying FarmFox STI Kitfox N61HP
    Rotax 915is, Airmaster prop
    https://www.youtube.com/channel/UC5A...oCVUP15G0uB-Yw

I have never read anything about turbo charged. I have heard no turbine engines. The engine must be a single, reciprocating engine.
    Eddie Forward
    Flying
    SS7, 912iS, Garmin G3X

My understanding is that you cannot have a constant speed prop on an LSA. I believe that the way the current regs are written is that the prop cannot be adjustable inflight. Ground adjustable props are acceptable. As I'm sure you know, the FAA has been considering changes to the LSA regs for the the last couple of years. Supposedly, they were going to announce them last year at Oshkosh, but they got tied up with the 737 MAX and had to divert personnel, or so the story goes. I'm still in the early stages of building and won't be ready for an engine prop/combination for about a year. Hopefully, by then, there will at least be an NPRM (notice of proposed rule making) so that I can act accordingly.

I believe that the philosophy behind the LSA regs is that the aircraft has to be simple to operate, and constant speed props violate that line of thought. However, there is at least one really cool CS prop out there (I forgot the name), that has a three or four position switch in the cockpit that allows you to select t/o, landing, or cruise. The electronics in the c/s controller takes care of the rest. That would be great because the 914 (supposedly) really shines when matched with a c/s prop. To the best of my knowledge, the 915 requires a c/s prop, so it is out of the running (at least for now) for an LSA.

Best

Fred

I believe you are confusing turbine with turbocharged.

LSA regs do specify the engine must be piston driven. That is the problem with electric power, it is not specified within the regulations. The regulations specify piston to eliminate turbine power.

The other limitations in the regulations pertain to performance and weight, and of course inflight adjustable prop.

Ralph