Kitfox Aircraft Stick and Rudder Stein Air Grove Aircraft TCW Technologies Dynon Avionics AeroLED MGL Avionics Leading Edge Airfoils Desser EarthX Batteries Garmin G3X Touch

Thread: Build times

Default Build times

How long has it taken you to build your Kitfox? Is it realistic to build one in the garage?

Smile Re: Build times

I'm a year into an S7 and probably 800 hours build time. Hopefully finishing the paint in 2-3 weeks. Then panel and engine. I'll be happy with 1200 hours. I'm using abut 1/2 of a 36x40 building and it's good. A garage would be pretty tight but certainly possible. Have fun...Ken Birchard

Default Re: Build times

Ryan,

Building a series 7 Trigear, which has been flying for a year now, I had about 1200 hours time on task into the build. That was without the quickbuild wings (IMHO - the wings are major portion of the build time on a kitfox - less so if you get the quick build wings). If I was doing a second Kitfox, I am sure I could cut the build time quite a bit; but I believe a person has to consider that things take longer than one might think.

Doing it in the garage where you live is a really good idea. if you live next to the airplane - you can do something each day. I made a personal promise to myself that I would do at least something each day - even if it wasn't much - that is how you get it done - having the airplane close by and doing something every day.

Another idea worth considering - get everything you need right away - that way if you need to wait on one assembly for some reason you can do something else, and the parts don't get any cheaper if you wait.

Sincerely,

Dave S
    KF7 Trigear
    St Paul, MN

I am building my S7 in a signal garage space which works OK if you can store the wings or fuselage somewhere else while working on the other.
    Dorsal ~~^~~
    Series 7 - Tri-Gear
    912 ULS Warp Drive

Thanks for the input guys. That was all very helpful and very much appreciated.

Ryan