Kitfox Aircraft Stick and Rudder Stein Air Grove Aircraft TCW Technologies Dynon Avionics AeroLED MGL Avionics Leading Edge Airfoils Desser EarthX Batteries Garmin G3X Touch

Thread: An epoxy varnish reducer heads up

Default An epoxy varnish reducer heads up

The contents of my last can of epoxy varnish reducer had just “disappeared” when I went to use it a few months ago. I wrote it off to a cap that maybe hadn’t been tightened enough so I bought another can. After using a small amount I made sure the cap was tight and stored it in a tightly sealed Ziploc bag.

Yesterday I was planning on coating a few parts and when I pulled the varnish and reducer from storage, the bag contained a large amount of the reducer - outside the can. Luckily the bag had held.

Poly reducer leak.jpg

Kudos to Conaircraft who quickly responded to an email and a replacement is on its way. Apparently this does occur but it is 1/50,000 cans rare.
    Last edited by Delta Whisky; 04-27-2020 at 08:47 PM. Reason: Added the forgotten picture

Default Re: An epoxy varnish reducer heads up

I had a can of this that did the same thing. I had a tiny pinhole on the bottom piece of the can that appears to have happened when the piece was stamped.
    Phil Nelson
    A&P-IA, Maintenance Instructor
    KF 5 Outback, Cont. IO-240
    Flying since 2016