Kitfox Aircraft Stick and Rudder Stein Air Grove Aircraft TCW Technologies Dynon Avionics AeroLED MGL Avionics Leading Edge Airfoils Desser EarthX Batteries Garmin G3X Touch

Thread: Issue covering a Model 1 with Oratex

Default Issue covering a Model 1 with Oratex

I'm still aways away from starting covering but using Oratex on a model 1 has at least 1 challenge. The little triangular windows aft of the doors don't have the same frame that the 5 and later do. Originally for the model 1 you stitched the fabric to the piece of lexan, glued the fabric to the fuselage tubing and then finished it with whatever process you were using. Problem with Oratex is the heat needed to shrink it will most likely distort the lexan.

So I'm guessing I need some kind of frame work to mount to the fuselage tubing? Anyone done anything like this before?

Default Re: Issue covering a Model 1 with Oratex

Just get a piece of sheet aluminum, cut a picture frame type shape to the shape you want for the window and glue it to the inside of the fabric. Cut the middle out but leave enough to wrap back on the inside. Cut and dart and then wrap and glue the fabric to the inside of the picture frame and then when all the painting is done you can just drill holes through and screw the side window in.

edit; The frame doesn't have to attach to structure. It can just attach to the fabric.
    John Brannen
    Morris, IL
    Sonerai IIL (Single Seat)
    Kitfox 3/4 1050 - Rotax 582 (Back Flying and sold)
    Kitfox IV 1050 - Rotax 582 (sold)
    Kitfox IV 1200 Speedster - Rotax 912 UL (project)
    Piper Twin Comanche (Sold)
    Glasair 1 FT (Waiting to start)

Very elegant, thanks

Or skip the windows completely. None of my Avids had them and I never noticed them. Didn't put them in with the Kitfox 4 I'm redoing either. JImChuk

That thought had crossed my mind, a couple ounces less and a few hours less work.

on the mk2 that I'm re-assembling, one of the panels had split along the stitching. The previous owner had done multiple repairs with duct tape and it was a right mess.

Whilst trying to figure out how to repair it, I came to the ideal that a stitched in clear panel was about the most stupid idea anyone could ever have conceived, certainly when faced with replacing it.

Both the ideas above, omitting them or an aluminium back plate, far outweigh stitched in panels. They are just another one of the many little details I have found so frustrating with mine.

Do show us some pictures of how you progress so that I'll know what to do should |I ever need to recover!