Kitfox Aircraft Stick and Rudder Stein Air Grove Aircraft TCW Technologies Dynon Avionics AeroLED MGL Avionics Leading Edge Airfoils Desser EarthX Batteries Garmin G3X Touch

Thread: Loose Rotax 912 oil filters

Default Loose Rotax 912 oil filters

This is a new thread that grew out of the Oil thermostat thread. I discovered a loose oil filter during the course of an oil change. It was so loose,that I could move it with my little finger !Fortunately ,I didn't loose any oil but I was about to ! During the prior oil change I had followed the instructions on torquing,leak checks,etc to the letter (I had the SI right in front of me) Having previously attended the Lockwood Rotax school and performing oil changes I asked specifically if the oil filter needed to be safetied and was told no.Well, I am here to tell you that they do.I called Lockwood after finding the loose filter and they told me that they had only heard of one other person discovering a loose filter during the normal oil change cycle.
    Two other guys have reported loose filters just on the Oil Thermo thread (one engine ate itself due to loss of oil) so I know I am not one of two in the whole world to have discovered this. I made up a safety clamp with Adel clamp rubber under the clamp to mate against the oil filter. I then ran a safety wire to the engine so now the filter won't move (I also torque marked it)
    If you have discovered this problem please call Lockwood,CPS,LEADING EDGE,etc and let them know so they can pass it on in their engine courses.
    Dick

Default Re: Loose Rotax 912 oil filters

Steve,
    I put the rubber under the clamp just in case vibration between the edge of the clamp and oil filter surface could cause a crack in the oil filter .I doubt that would happen but just in case.
    Dick

Good thread guys.

I've never had one come loose after about 80 oil/filter changes but I tighten mine a little more than Rotax recommends. That being said, it sure makes sense to put the clamp on. Cheap insurance against having a real bad day. If someone has a photo of the clamp and safety wire they might post it here.
    It really is a simple solution. Had one on my model 3 912 for 1200 hours. No way it could come loose. Might be time to put one on my model 4.

P.S. - mine did not have any rubber padding on it and it never even left a mark on the paint of the filter after 25 to 30 hours of flying.

DesertFox4
    Admin.
    7 Super Sport
    912 ULS Tri-gear

I thought about that but never saw anyone doing it, I put a witness mark on my oil filter and have it on my check list to check it before and after flight.
    Dj Series 6

I have a hose clamp around my NAPA oil filter safety wired to the engine. Works.
    Pete
    Leander, TX
    Model III SN 1000
    Grove