Kitfox Aircraft Stick and Rudder Stein Air Grove Aircraft TCW Technologies Dynon Avionics AeroLED MGL Avionics Leading Edge Airfoils Desser EarthX Batteries Garmin G3X Touch
Page 2 of 2 FirstFirst 12

Thread: Epoxy thickening

Default Re: Epoxy thickening

Quote Originally Posted by efwd View Post
    Off the top of my head, Hysol only was used to adhere the leading edge to the spar, and to secure the airfoil shape plastic to the struts. That is where the double barrel syringe system is most appreciated IMO.
    Eddie,

Don't forget the lift & jury strut attach fittings, and the doubler plates at the spar to fuselage attach points. Lots of rivets and lots of epoxy.
    John Evens
    Arvada, CO
    Kitfox SS7 N27JE
    EAA Lifetime
    Chap. 43 honorary Lifetime

Opps - I wasn't clear - I should have more clearly said something on the order of: "excepting the ribs, are there any critical, load carrying (structural), epoxy-only joints in the current KF?"

John (and Eddie) - I was and am trying to think of places were epoxy was used without rivets in a structural application to test my theory that the Hysol must have been called out for corrosion protection. Using it for fairings fit my poorly worded question but not my intention.

In the certification world the FAA has required rivets (or some other mechanical fastener) in addition to resin in pressure vessel seams because they feel a belt and suspender approach was needed. That doesn't appear to be the design case in the KF where rivets and epoxy are used.

Now that I think about it, maybe the leading edge attach is a two part approach - after all, once the two layers of fabric are wrapped and glued around it; I'll bet it won't be going anywhere.

In the certification world the FAA has required rivets (or some other mechanical fastener) in addition to resin in pressure vessel seams because they feel a belt and suspender approach was needed. That doesn't appear to be the design case in the KF where rivets and epoxy are used.
    Not always true. The Grumman Yankee AA-1 and I believe also Tiger AA-5 used bonded technology without rivets. Also, the BD4 uses bonded skins without rivets.

Ralph

Quote Originally Posted by rv9ralph View Post
    Not always true. The Grumman Yankee AA-1 and I believe also Tiger AA-5 used bonded technology without rivets. Also, the BD4 uses bonded skins without rivets.

Ralph
    Grumman AA1B was my first plane in 1987 I think. Glue never did let go but I always thought about it after I toured the factory and seen one built. Even the aluminum c channel that the engine mount bolted to was bonded to the honey comb body. I saw that at the factory and was afraid to fly home. Ha Ha
    That was a great little plane after I put the 150hp Lycoming in it. Last time I checked it was still flying somewhere in Ga.
    Attached Images Attached Images
    Harlan and Susan Payne
    Sold Piper Archer
    Flying FarmFox STI Kitfox N61HP
    Rotax 915is, Airmaster prop
    https://www.youtube.com/channel/UC5A...oCVUP15G0uB-Yw

Sorry Eddie & Darrel... I clearly understand your comments now. I've got to try to follow the thread of the conversation better!

Yep, Ralph and Harlan... That Grumman series of airplanes were the direct descendants of Jim Bede's original design. My son-in-law & daughter have a 160 hp Cheetah. It's a nice airplane.
    I almost built a Bede 4 in the 70's before deciding to do something else. Bought the plans & started gathering tools, then fell in love with John Thorp's T-18. 15 years of part time building (from blue prints) later, I test flew that in 1990.
    John Evens
    Arvada, CO
    Kitfox SS7 N27JE
    EAA Lifetime
    Chap. 43 honorary Lifetime