Kitfox Aircraft Stick and Rudder Stein Air Grove Aircraft TCW Technologies Dynon Avionics AeroLED MGL Avionics Leading Edge Airfoils Desser EarthX Batteries Garmin G3X Touch
Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast

Thread: Rim sizes

Default Rim sizes

Hi Everyone

Can anybody please tell me where can I find what the max. allowable rim size is for main as well as tail wheel please?

Thanx

Default Re: Rim sizes

I assume you can go as big as you want, or do you mean the maximum standard Kitfox, sizes?
    Tiaan Hafele

Kitfox Model 3 - Flying, Rotax 618
    Kitfox Model IV - Restoring, Rotax 912 UL

https://www.idahopress.com/emmett/sp...d30e34ab7.html

Just Do It! It is an experimental after all.
    Remember, at some point you will likely need an all new brake system. Maybe that is where your question originates?
    Eddie Forward
    Flying
    SS7, 912iS, Garmin G3X

I’ve been kinda curious about beringer 10inch rims with aero classic 29” tire...

https://www.supercub.org/forum/showt...els-and-Brakes

Thanx for the feedback guy's

With a little further research on the matter there seems to be a limitation if I may quote from a thread on AVCOM

"At the risk of being a spoilsport, are these being fitted to a Type Certified or Non-Type Certified aircraft, and are they within the existing approvals? Are the tires and wheels (rims) approved in combination?"

"NTCA data sheet for aircraft:Bushbaby, and Bushbaby - ExplorerAircraft: description Single engine, high wing, fixed undercarriage, land planeEngine Make/ Model Rotax 912 UL, ULS operation 4-stroke HP 80 & 100 Maintenance/parametersAs per Manufacturers specificationsPropeller Type P-prop, GSC, Woodcomp (flight adjustable), IVO, anypropeller recommended by the engine manufacturer length 66” – 72” as per engine manufacturers specifications blades 2 or 3 blade fixed or adjustableFuel Burn (L/hour) 12-18 Tank capacity 2 x 50 litre (46 usable) Range 400-450 (depending on prop) Endurance / Hours 5.5 no reserveSeat persons 2 construction Composite bench seatUndercarriage Tricycle Free-castor nose wheel with differential brakingFront leg suspension via rubber “doughnuts”Main legs either1. welded steel tube with shock cord or coil spring suspension2. Grove style solid blade aluminium spring gear Tail dragger Tail wheel steering via extended rudder link, either customwheel assembly or Matco 6” & 8” or Maule tail wheelassemblyMain leg either:1. welded steel tube with shock cord or coil spring suspension2. Grove style solid blade aluminium spring gear Brakes & wheels Standard custom cable operated drum brakes, 6” rimsCustom hydraulic with 8” rims, Matco, Cleavland or Grovehydraulic disc brakes 6” rims Tyres Main : 15 x600 x6 mower, 6.00 x6 aircraft , 8.00 x6, 800x8and 8.50x8 Nose: 15 x600 x6 Tail: 6: solid rubber, 6” & 8” pneumatic. (Matco, Maule)"

Wingover,

In the US, not sure about other countries, we are free to do pretty much whatever we want. I could literally put skateboard wheels on my airplane if I wanted to.

Thx Guppy

I came across a statement made by the FAA that restrict bush tire size to a 35"

My main problem is Prop ground clearance but to put 6x8.50-6 Goodyear with tubes on will cost me with our Rand about R 30 000. I need to raise my prop ground clearance with 6" without putting a smaller prop on. I am looking for a affordable alternative solution. I was looking at 8" rims with a 22x10-8 tire that will give me that extra clearance needed as well as if I get a flat tire with the 8.50 Goodyear on a 6" rim I think I will most certainly have a prop strike having only 3" Prop Ground clearance at the moment if the belly is horizontal in the flight config. The problem with bigger rims is weight. I have heard of light weight dragster rims but don't know if that really is an option

I came upon a possible solution to my Prop Ground Clearance problem by fitting 22×10-8 Kenda 547 tires. Can anyone tell me if and why it can't work. There will more drag being a wider tire but that is the only negative I can think of and bit heavier than the 6x800

The Kenda Dominator works well for me, I run them on my Kitfox 3. I shall send you a picture (if I can find one) Have you got 8" rims?
    The are not really wider, but not smooth, as these are stock quadbike front tyres.
    Tiaan Hafele

Kitfox Model 3 - Flying, Rotax 618
    Kitfox Model IV - Restoring, Rotax 912 UL

A word of caution on atv tyres.
    i tried 22 x 11x 8 atv tyres with the grips cut off (a surprisingly simple job) they pulled narrower on inflation,looked real cool,soaked up rocks and were light weight. Unfortunatly they grew out of round after a few months to the point of being unusable. My brother had the same problem. I went back to my nanco's. I may have struck a bad batch,also various brands may vary. I used 4 ply rated and these had a definite ridge where the plays overlapped.