Kitfox Aircraft Stick and Rudder Stein Air Grove Aircraft TCW Technologies Dynon Avionics AeroLED MGL Avionics Leading Edge Airfoils Desser EarthX Batteries Garmin G3X Touch
Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast

Thread: Alternator warning light on 912 Rotax

Default Alternator warning light on 912 Rotax

First off, my least favorite thing is wiring, most likely cause it seems a bit like black magic. Or something like that...Anyway, I'm wiring up my Kitfox 4 rebuild project, and I want to just have a in panel light that goes off once the engine starts and the alternator starts charging. I have that on my Avid Mk IV with the Jabiru and it works for me.. In the Rotax installation manual, it says use a 3 watt lamp. All I can find it seems are LED lights that draw far, far less then that. Does anyone know if it will make any difference using a much smaller wattage light? Thanks, JImChuk

PS, here is the panel so far. Leaving the upper right side open for a 8" tablet running Avare GPS when needed or wanted. Still have a couple of holes to cut. Forgot the ELT remote for one thing... :-()
    Attached Images Attached Images

Default Re: Alternator warning light on 912 Rotax

I'd say you want to either find a 3 watt bulb or add a resistor to the circuit with the LED to get the resistance the same as the 3 watt bulb.
    Av8r3400
    Kitfox Model IV
    The Mangy Fox
    912UL 105hp Zipper
    YouTube Videos

Thanks Larry, that then brings up the next question. What size resister would it take to get up to the 3 watts. I believe the LED light uses 0.2 watt. Like I said, electronics is not my strong suit... :-) JImChuk

Jim,

With conventional automotive alternators, something like a 3 watt load is necessary for that light to work. I don't know about the Rotax specifically, but an LED should be able to be used, as Larry said. Here is one drawing that I had, and I've attached a .pdf file with another. I hope one or the other will help you. Anyway, you may be able to use this information to fabricate a simple circuit for use with the Rotax. Here you go -

LR3_LV_Led_1.jpg

I like your panel. Looks like you're using my favorite simple TruTrak autopilot. I've got one just like it. I wish they still made them.
    Attached Files Attached Files
    John Evens
    Arvada, CO
    Kitfox SS7 N27JE
    EAA Lifetime
    Chap. 43 honorary Lifetime

Hi John, Thanks for the drawings. I sent you a private message. Thanks, JImChuk

Jim - the light is grounded by the regulator-rectifier (not powered) upon fault detection. Any 12v DC light will work just fine. It can't be more than 3W because the regulator isn't designed to handle more than that. Should you buy a 12V LED, it will have the necessary voltage drop down resistor in it. I used this (539-FL1M8SW-1-R12V) from Mouser.

Thanks everyone, I think I have it figured out now. JImChuk

A note here from an electrical engineer. The LED itself only draws maybe 20 milliamps. 20mA x 12 volts is .24 watt. In the above circuit, there is a secondary current path to dissipate through that parallel resistor. You would need a 48 ohm resistor to draw 3 watts. Now, here's the important part. 3 watts as a fair amount of heat so you want to get a resistor that can be mounted to a heat sink. I would think that the firewall should be fine.

Reviving this thread. I am joining the 21st century and installing EFIS. I would love to match the alternator warning light with my EarthX battery light. Will this suffice?
    https://earthxbatteries.com/product/...ult-indicator/

12V LED Indicator Light

$29.99
    Specifications:

• Color: Amber
    • Mounting: Nut and Washer (included)
    • Termination style: Wire 20ga- 48″ length
    • Voltage: 12V
    • Built in resistor: 500 ohm, 1/2 Watt
    • Drill bit size: .325 or 5/16″

12V-Red-LED.jpg
    Dave
    KitFox 6 Taildragger
    912 ULS
    Whirlwind 70” Prop
    Garmin G3x
    All around nice guy

Dave, I have maybe four of those L.E.D. caution lights at my hangar. You can have one or a couple if needed. I have different colors too. Green, red and yellow I believe.
    Will bring them down next week when I visit Deer Valley.

DesertFox4
    Admin.
    7 Super Sport
    912 ULS Tri-gear