Kitfox Aircraft Stick and Rudder Stein Air Grove Aircraft TCW Technologies Dynon Avionics AeroLED MGL Avionics Leading Edge Airfoils Desser EarthX Batteries Garmin G3X Touch
Page 8 of 58 FirstFirst ... 45678910111218 ... LastLast

Thread: STI Farm Fox Build Log

Default Re: STI Farm Fox Build Log

Harlan, Thanks for the video.
    Starfox

I'll weigh in here with my favorite edge finishing tool: https://www.aircraftspruce.com/catal...?clickkey=4115. The 7A part number is hard enough to remove material pretty darn quick and still leaves a smooth edge. When using either snips or a band saw you can cut close to the line and finish to the line and debur fast. Or, just debur your own work or the myriad of parts that you'll receive with burrs. (No one charges extra for burrs or sharp edges. ) Or, remove stress risers, or round corners or, cut a bolt to length and finish "polish" the cut and fine tune the lead-in thread. I first came across it when building an RV and now I wouldn't want to have a shop without one. (I'm on my third one in 25 years.)

Quote Originally Posted by SomeDay7 View Post
    Harlan, Thanks for the video.
    Thank you for watching.
    Harlan and Susan Payne
    Sold Piper Archer
    Flying FarmFox STI Kitfox N61HP
    Rotax 915is, Airmaster prop
    https://www.youtube.com/channel/UC5A...oCVUP15G0uB-Yw

I got the consol fitted and drilled. I ended up using an old paper cutter board with the big blade to cut the thin aluminum. It worked really well.

My eldest son tried out the pilot seat. He said the same thing I did the first time I got in a kitfox, I need more room around my feet.
    Has anyone narrowed up the center console? I am seriously thinking about it since I don't have the adjustable rudder pedals but I have to wait and see what all goes in there.
    I'm thinking about running the console wall inside the front tubes , that would give a couple more inches for ones feet while at rest in cruise and for the passengers.
    I'm probably just day dreaming...….
    Attached Images Attached Images
    Harlan and Susan Payne
    Sold Piper Archer

One thing that will help in the foot area is the absolute thinnest lightest shoes you can find to wear . I have a special pair that I call my flying shoes to enhance rudder operation, we have a big controllable rudder that doesn't like stabs with work boots on. Even in the winter here in western NY , i wear my light shoes with a pair of boots that I changed out of once I got the airplane ready to fly. Bruce N199CL

Bruce that my take on it when I flew at stick and rudder, I don't think I could fly this in my work boots. I wear work books a lot here on the farm. Guess I'll just have to have some flying shoes in the plane.
    Harlan and Susan Payne
    Sold Piper Archer

I do precisely the same thing. I had bought a pair of shoes that are pretty minimalist in material and were very comfortable. I have made them my flying shoes and they remain in the hangar. I bought a second pair to wear everywhere else.
    Eddie Forward
    Flying
    SS7, 912iS, Garmin G3X

I do the same as Bruce & Eddie. I'd even fly barefoot if I wanted to. I had a friend who used to fly his Skybolt with cowboy boots... man, I couldn't live like that!
    John Evens
    Arvada, CO
    Kitfox SS7 N27JE
    EAA Lifetime
    Chap. 43 honorary Lifetime

Default Is your tail twisted?

Does the vertical stabilizer have a twist in it from the factory? I have had 3 people comment while looking at my build that the stabilizer was pointing left while looking at it from the front. It is just the top half.
    I noticed it the first day but had not asked you guys about it.
    I took pics of it the best I could to get the amount its off.
    If it's not suppose to be that way I can straighten it pretty easy but I didn't want to if its built in for a reason?
    I ran a string on it to the front and it points 4'' off center on the front of the wing attach big pipe.
    Attached Images Attached Images
    Harlan and Susan Payne
    Sold Piper Archer

From Eddie: I had bought a pair of shoes that are pretty minimalist in material and were very comfortable. I have made them my flying shoes and they remain in the hanga
    In the November 2019 edition of Sport Aviation, an article in Budd Davisson's column, addressed the proper shoes for flying. He noted that most athletic type of shoes have sharp edges on the soles and heel. He recommended using the bench grinder to reshape the edges of the soles to make them fit in the cockpit and not catch on things. Driving shoes have rounded heels and soles. It is worth a read if you still have that edition or can access the archives online.

Ralph