Kitfox Aircraft Stick and Rudder Stein Air Grove Aircraft TCW Technologies Dynon Avionics AeroLED MGL Avionics Leading Edge Airfoils Desser EarthX Batteries Garmin G3X Touch
Page 5 of 58 FirstFirst 1234567891555 ... LastLast

Thread: STI Farm Fox Build Log

Default Re: STI Farm Fox Build Log

Rained most of the day today so I got to work all afternoon on the plane. Sure don't have much to show for it. Reamed on the fuselage and finished the control sticks apparatus and mounted. Now I have to take it off and redo due to binding.
    Attached Images Attached Images
    Harlan and Susan Payne
    Sold Piper Archer
    Flying FarmFox STI Kitfox N61HP
    Rotax 915is, Airmaster prop
    https://www.youtube.com/channel/UC5A...oCVUP15G0uB-Yw

Binding on the control sticks usuall comes from two areas-the right hand mounting block and/or the left hand plastic mounting block. The RH block may need to be shimmed with one or two thin washers where the block contacts the welded tabs on the airframe; those tabs are frequently not all on the same level plane. The plastic block is the more common problem; as the bolts are tightened the block distorts and binds much more than you would think. Go slow, but you may need to open up the large hole a surprising amount. Also go easy and don't over-tighten the bolts.
    Jim Ott
    Portland, OR
    Kitfox SS7 flying
    Rotax 912ULS

This is just preparing you for when you install your rudder pedals! Bruce N199CL

Oh yes, rudder pedals! Make sure they rotate nice and free before permanent installation. I have a sticky one on copilot side that has enough friction drag so that the return spring does not always return it. It has bugged me for years and there is no way to take the assembly out and rework it without a major amount of work. What happens is not a problem or dangerous, that cable just goes slack and lays on the bottom of the fuselage. It never jumps off the pulleys because of the keepers that are there (thank goodness) so it is not noticable, but it bugs me anyway. So heads up!
    Jim Ott
    Portland, OR
    Kitfox SS7 flying
    Rotax 912ULS

Quote Originally Posted by jiott View Post
    Binding on the control sticks usuall comes from two areas-the right hand mounting block and/or the left hand plastic mounting block. The RH block may need to be shimmed with one or two thin washers where the block contacts the welded tabs on the airframe; those tabs are frequently not all on the same level plane. The plastic block is the more common problem; as the bolts are tightened the block distorts and binds much more than you would think. Go slow, but you may need to open up the large hole a surprising amount. Also go easy and don't over-tighten the bolts.

Ok I got it all shimmed/leveled up and a little sanding and all is good now. I got the hangers in going back to the elevator but all the ball joint connectors are on back order so I can't do anything on that. I will start on the flap/aileron assembly next looks like. Thank for the info.
    Number one son was off work today so I got him in on a little build time this evening. Number two son has helped me several times but is camera shy so we avoid that. My wife is out almost anytime I am out there in the shop so its been good family time so far.
    Last edited by Kitfox Pilot; 04-24-2020 at 07:26 PM.
    Harlan and Susan Payne
    Sold Piper Archer

I strongly recommend putting one of the round inspection covers on the belly as close as possible to that elevator pushrod hanger. It makes it super easy to inspect and lube the two rod ends during your yearly annual. You won't need to remove the cargo bag and floor to get access to those lube points. It really speeds things up.
    Jim Ott
    Portland, OR
    Kitfox SS7 flying
    Rotax 912ULS

If I don't remember to do that when I get to that point in my build, please remind me.
    Harlan and Susan Payne
    Sold Piper Archer

You said in your first post that you were covering with Oratex. You need not fear a forgotten panel. They can be put on easily, years later if you want.
    I seem to experience a lot of things as Jim has. I have a sticky Right copilot pedal as well. It seems to happen intermittently in mine.
    Eddie Forward
    Flying
    SS7, 912iS, Garmin G3X

Thats good to know Eddie that we can add inspection holes later. Thanks
    Harlan and Susan Payne
    Sold Piper Archer

Give me all things to do before I drill and screw down the floorboards. We got them all fitted and ground the weld placement on the bottom of the rudder pedal board. Is there anything else to do before I line them up and drill? Do they look ok as they lay?
    Harlan and Susan Payne
    Sold Piper Archer