Kitfox Aircraft Stick and Rudder Stein Air Grove Aircraft TCW Technologies Dynon Avionics AeroLED MGL Avionics Leading Edge Airfoils Desser EarthX Batteries Garmin G3X Touch
Page 11 of 58 FirstFirst ... 78910111213141521 ... LastLast

Thread: STI Farm Fox Build Log

Default Re: STI Farm Fox Build Log

Quote Originally Posted by efwd View Post
    See, sometimes tall people do save money.

The downside is we can't have as much padding in our seats! Ha Ha
    Harlan and Susan Payne
    Sold Piper Archer
    Flying FarmFox STI Kitfox N61HP
    Rotax 915is, Airmaster prop
    https://www.youtube.com/channel/UC5A...oCVUP15G0uB-Yw

Quote Originally Posted by jrevens View Post
    It sure does, Eddie... that's what I did too.

John would you have the info on where to get the hinge material that you used on your turtle deck? And why is it called a turtle deck? Thanks Harlan
    Harlan and Susan Payne
    Sold Piper Archer

Hi Harlan,

The details & a link to the supplier are posted on “John’s Build” posting #284. You can also buy a kit to do it from Kitfox now.

I’m not sure about the origin of “turtle deck”, but I assume because it’s a covered area, sort of like a turtle shell.
    John Evens
    Arvada, CO
    Kitfox SS7 N27JE
    EAA Lifetime
    Chap. 43 honorary Lifetime

Thanks John
    Harlan and Susan Payne
    Sold Piper Archer

Default ELTs

Which elt is the best priced when comparing unit and battery replacement costs? I have been looking as some with good prices but when I search batteries they are 150 to 250.
    I thought some used reg d batteries but I'm not finding them?
    Harlan and Susan Payne
    Sold Piper Archer

The D batteries were on some of the 121.5 ETLs, but not on any 406 ones. Hopefully you are looking at getting a new 406 ELT and not a used 121.5.

Anyways, the Artex 345 ELT has a 6 year battery and the ACK-04 has a 5 year battery; they cost about the same on a yearly basis. Do some research on these two 406 ELTs. If I had a choice I would have gotten the Artex 345, but it wasn't available at the time I built my plane. The Artex is easier to install, can use a shielded cable to connect the remote switch (the Artex uses an unshielded phone cable) and only has one battery (the Artex has 3).

I found the little battery on my ACK remote switch dead at the last condition inspection. This meant the remote was totally unable to test or activate the ELT. This battery was supposed to go 10 years, but it only lasted 5. Not a big deal to replace a battery, but it is extra maintenance. The big disappointment was knowing I could not activate the ELT in an emergency.
    Phil Nelson
    A&P-IA, Maintenance Instructor
    KF 5 Outback, Cont. IO-240
    Flying since 2016

Since I just purchased the Artex yesterday, I hope I didn't screw up, but I thought it was the ACK that used 3 batteries??

Rick

Quote Originally Posted by bumsteer View Post
    Since I just purchased the Artex yesterday, I hope I didn't screw up, but I thought it was the ACK that used 3 batteries??

Rick
    Yes, that is correct. I have an ACK-04 with the 3 batteries.
    Phil Nelson
    A&P-IA, Maintenance Instructor
    KF 5 Outback, Cont. IO-240
    Flying since 2016

Quote Originally Posted by PapuaPilot View Post
    The D batteries were on some of the 121.5 ETLs, but not on any 406 ones. Hopefully you are looking at getting a new 406 ELT and not a used 121.5.

Anyways, the Artex 345 ELT has a 6 year battery and the ACK-04 has a 5 year battery; they cost about the same on a yearly basis. Do some research on these two 406 ELTs. If I had a choice I would have gotten the Artex 345, but it wasn't available at the time I built my plane. The Artex is easier to install, can use a shielded cable to connect the remote switch (the Artex uses an unshielded phone cable) and only has one battery (the Artex has 3).

I found the little battery on my ACK remote switch dead at the last condition inspection. This meant the remote was totally unable to test or activate the ELT. This battery was supposed to go 10 years, but it only lasted 5. Not a big deal to replace a battery, but it is extra maintenance. The big disappointment was knowing I could not activate the ELT in an emergency.
    \\

Thanks, I will look into theses. I just thought the batteries were a two year deal, and yes everything going on the plane will be new for sure.
    Harlan and Susan Payne
    Sold Piper Archer

I also have the ACK-04 with the 3 batteries. My remote switch battery also failed at about 5 years, but I was able to catch it right away. They recommend you so a simple self test every 3 months, which I try to do (you don't have to wait until top of the hour to test). It consists of simply pushing the test button on the remote switch and listening and watching for the LED to flash and a couple of beeps to sound. The number of flashes and beeps is a code that tells you if everything is OK or if there is a fault, such as a dead battery. This test is so easy and simple that I try to do it far more often than 3 months. Another recommendation to those of you installing the ACK-04; install those two small little boxes with the remote batteries in an easily accessible area for obvious reasons. I am very happy with the ACK-04, have had it for 7 years and replaced the big main battery once on schedule.
    Jim Ott
    Portland, OR
    Kitfox SS7 flying
    Rotax 912ULS