Kitfox Aircraft Stick and Rudder Stein Air Grove Aircraft TCW Technologies Dynon Avionics AeroLED MGL Avionics Leading Edge Airfoils Desser EarthX Batteries Garmin G3X Touch
Page 27 of 58 FirstFirst ... 1723242526272829303137 ... LastLast

Thread: STI Farm Fox Build Log

Default Re: STI Farm Fox Build Log

I wanted to use the earth x battery so I down sized the odyssey battery box that came with the fwf kit and moved my elt back behind the baggage compartment because the remote is on the dash to operate the elt.
    Trying to get as much weight back to off set the 915 and prop. Hoping to be done wiring in another week??? Wiring is a time consuming job to get done for me.
    Attached Images Attached Images
    Harlan and Susan Payne
    Sold Piper Archer
    Flying FarmFox STI Kitfox N61HP
    Rotax 915is, Airmaster prop
    https://www.youtube.com/channel/UC5A...oCVUP15G0uB-Yw

I never thought I'd ever hear a pilot say, "Gee, I wish there was more weight in the tail!" ;-)

Granted, that's never been a complaint of a Pietenpol pilot.

So, how much time do you think you've got invested in doing all the electrical work? Kitfox has the pre-wired panels that cuts the install down to about 12-16hrs. I'm wondering if it's worth the money since I'm not retired and time is more scarce to come by for me.

Oh, I should add that I'm going the same engine and prop as you...

Daniel I really don't know cause I did some wiring pre cover and if I had to guess you need 120 to 150 hrs to wire a vfr garmin install?? And then I have to do something to finish the panel. The Kitfox panels cost roughly 10k over parts so it up to what you want to do.
    If you are good at book study and electric schematics its not a big job. For me it was lots of study and a little wiring and lots of teamkitfox questions on things I'm not sure of or just don't understand.
    The wiring is enjoyable for me because I've always been a hands on person. The book work is not enjoyable for me.
    If you have an extra 10k you don't mind parting with I'd do the pre built panel.
    I really wanted to under stand the wiring in the plane. I could sure wire another one a lot faster. Harlan

And no doubt we will need some weight in the tail to off set the extra 15 or so lbs for the electric prop over a regular prop. I'm trying to get what I can back there.
    Last edited by Kitfox Pilot; 07-07-2021 at 06:16 PM.
    Harlan and Susan Payne
    Sold Piper Archer

Amen to that Harlan. I could do everything on this plane much faster if given another opportunity. Having priced out both a Garmin and Dynon VFR panel in great detail I don't think the margin on the Kitfox panels is anything like $10k. If you were to buy every piece at retail I think there's almost no margin at all. They get better deals than we do and they're very much in practice. If Garmin is your choice and the layout suits you it's almost a no brainer.
    Kitfox 5 (under construction)
    Commercial SE/ME, CFII

Just my opinion based on what I have observed here in these wiring discussions, but I personally am convinced that wiring up a Dynon Skyview/Advanced Flight Systems panel is significantly easier and more straightforward than what I am hearing with the Garmin panels. I am certainly as non-electrically inclined as many of you, but my Dynon panel went in with no confusing questions and no need for support from the factory. I did not use their plug-and-play option which makes it even easier. I have been very happy with it for 8 years now. Just my 2 cents worth.
    Jim Ott
    Portland, OR
    Kitfox SS7 flying
    Rotax 912ULS

Harlan,

I'm placing my pre-wired panel order, today. Electronics doesn't bother me too much... but, time is precious to me. It'll still take 4mo to get to me!

Next question - I'm also ordering the Oratex and Janina is telling me they can't do a 36m single role of material. What did you get? Two 18m rolls? Two 13m and a 10m? One 27m and a 9m?

Thanks!
    Dan

I got two rolls , one was only 9 meters and the rest was on the other roll. They gave me 2 extra meters if I would take the 9meter roll. I have I'm guessing 4 or so meters left.

I'm sure you will love the pre wired panel!
    Harlan and Susan Payne
    Sold Piper Archer

Thank you, sir!

Be sure that you're ready to cover when you order the Oratex. The folks in Anchorage are friendly and helpful, but they don't mention that there's a very short shelf life on the Oratex adhesive. Shipping from Germany is very fast (a week to the U.S. west coast), so lead time isn't really a problem.
    Eric Page
    Building: Kitfox 5 Safari | Rotax 912iS | Dynon HDX
    Member: EAA Lifetime, AOPA, ALPA
    ATP: AMEL | Comm: ASEL, Glider | ATCS: CTO
    Map of Landings

Quote Originally Posted by Eric Page View Post
    Be sure that you're ready to cover when you order the Oratex. The folks in Anchorage are friendly and helpful, but they don't mention that there's a very short shelf life on the Oratex adhesive. Shipping from Germany is very fast (a week to the U.S. west coast), so lead time isn't really a problem.

Janina was great when I called and she explained that timing is everything. When I called they did not have any silver in stock at the factory so I was going to have to wait if I wanted the silver. I had heard that getting the actual fabric had a bit of a wait to it so my plan was to order real early so I had it when I was ready. Since I was pulling good lead, I waited but only about two weeks (Germany had a national holiday when I was talking to her. Janina told me about the short shelf life but also said that they had the adhesive there in Anchorage so once I was ready, I could order it from her and get it pretty quickly. When the factory came up with enough to fill my order, I ordered everything but the adhesive. You are so right on the speed of the shipping from Germany. I got mine two days after I ordered it.
    Gary (Geek) Phenning
    Leavenworth (Not the Prison), WA
    Kitfox STi N68SG