Kitfox Aircraft Stick and Rudder Stein Air Grove Aircraft TCW Technologies Dynon Avionics AeroLED MGL Avionics Leading Edge Airfoils Desser EarthX Batteries Garmin G3X Touch
Page 14 of 58 FirstFirst ... 410111213141516171824 ... LastLast

Thread: STI Farm Fox Build Log

Default Re: STI Farm Fox Build Log

Thanks Darrel. I have learned with my short building experience that too close almost always gets redone later. HaHa
    Harlan and Susan Payne
    Sold Piper Archer
    Flying FarmFox STI Kitfox N61HP
    Rotax 915is, Airmaster prop
    https://www.youtube.com/channel/UC5A...oCVUP15G0uB-Yw

Quote Originally Posted by Kitfox Pilot View Post
    Thanks John ,did you roll the edges on this piece any?
    Yes, similar to Jim's. There are pictures within my thread "John's Build".
    John Evens
    Arvada, CO
    Kitfox SS7 N27JE
    EAA Lifetime
    Chap. 43 honorary Lifetime

was the belief that close tolerances are good.
    It's not the close tolerance that looks good... It is the even clearance. As long as the gaps are consistent (without it being excessive), it will look good.

Ralph

Quote Originally Posted by rv9ralph View Post
    It's not the close tolerance that looks good... It is the even clearance. As long as the gaps are consistent (without it being excessive), it will look good.

Ralph

That is very true Ralph, thanks.
    Harlan and Susan Payne
    Sold Piper Archer

Default It looks better with wings!

I know they won't stay on long but everyone likes it better with the wings on...

Number 1 rib, filler rib and transition ribs are all on the wing and butt rib is on the fuselage. False ribs are on around the strut attach points. Most everything is varnished.
    Work is taking a lot of my plane building time this time of year, we oil and chip roads in the summer...Winter will be here before we know it.
    Attached Images Attached Images
    Harlan and Susan Payne
    Sold Piper Archer

Default Your favorite wiring tools please.

We got the fuel tanks in and started covering them with false ribs last night. A truck came by today and dropped off several boxes labeled Garmin so I have started reading the 928 page downloaded install manual.............. I hope I don't need all these pages to make it work. LOL
    Where did you guys source your wire and connectors? I have the Garmin connectors that came with the order is all at this time.

If you will, show me your favorite wiring tools to make the job a little easier. Thanks
    Attached Images Attached Images
    Harlan and Susan Payne
    Sold Piper Archer

Stein air and aircraft spruce. Seems like I ordered weekly for a couple months. Stein air has a bunch of YouTube videos that are very helpful. I dreaded wiring the most, but enjoyed it the most. Start reading that manual on everything that applies. Helps a ton. Take good notes!
    Dustin Dickerson

Building 7ss STI x 2
    Oratex
    29" shock monster
    EP912STI 155hp
    Garmin
    N33TF......FLYING!
    N53TF......FLYING!

Quote Originally Posted by Shadowrider View Post
    Stein air and aircraft spruce. Seems like I ordered weekly for a couple months. Stein air has a bunch of YouTube videos that are very helpful. I dreaded wiring the most, but enjoyed it the most. Start reading that manual on everything that applies. Helps a ton. Take good notes!

I've got the dreading part down, I hope the enjoyment will come later......... Haha
    Harlan and Susan Payne
    Sold Piper Archer

Quote Originally Posted by Kitfox Pilot View Post
    I've got the dreading part down, I hope the enjoyment will come later......... Haha
    Yes it will. On the first flight for sure!
    Phil Nelson
    A&P-IA, Maintenance Instructor
    KF 5 Outback, Cont. IO-240
    Flying since 2016

The best prices I could find recently for crimp style D-Sub connector bodies was at Aircraft Spruce, and that included searching the big name electronic component distributors.

D-Sub back shells come in all kinds of shapes and sizes, depending whether you want shielded or unshielded, plastic or metal, straight or angled. Digi-Key sells the exact part provided with Dynon harnesses and sold in their online store, at considerable savings.

B&C Specialty Products had the best deal on D-Sub crimp sockets in bulk. D-Sub crimp pins were slightly cheaper at Digi-Key, but maybe not enough difference to overcome the shipping cost if that's all you're buying.

Don't forget a D-Sub pin insertion/removal tool. Available at B&C Specialty Products or Digi-Key.

MIL-W-22759/16 Tefzel wire is well-priced at Sky Geek for the basic solid colors, but with a 100-ft minimum. For shorter lengths, look to Aircraft Spruce. If you want striped wire to match a factory harness, look at ProWireUSA.

Do yourself a favor and buy an Ideal Stripmaster 45-097. It's the King of wire strippers and will save you a lot of frustration over using a cheapo automotive wire stripper. Tefzel insulation is tough stuff and this stripper just works, without nicking wires. Available on Amazon for a good price new, or on eBay for less if you're OK with a pre-owned set.

To crimp D-Sub pins and sockets at reasonable cost, the crimper sold by B&C Specialty Products is a good choice, and Amazon sells the same tool with different colored handles for $10 less.

For general purpose heat shrink tubing, I'd recommend this Qualtek Q5-3X series at Digi-Key. It's flame retardant, has a 3:1 shrink ratio and is adhesive-lined to seal out moisture. Dirt cheap in 4-foot lengths.

For wire marking, the clear heat shrink sold by B&C Specialty Products is hard to beat. Read their product description for an idea how to use it.
    Eric Page
    Building: Kitfox 5 Safari | Rotax 912iS | Dynon HDX
    Member: EAA Lifetime, AOPA, ALPA
    ATP: AMEL | Comm: ASEL, Glider | ATCS: CTO
    Map of Landings