Kitfox Aircraft Stick and Rudder Stein Air Grove Aircraft TCW Technologies Dynon Avionics AeroLED MGL Avionics Leading Edge Airfoils Desser EarthX Batteries Garmin G3X Touch
Page 7 of 58 FirstFirst ... 345678910111757 ... LastLast

Thread: STI Farm Fox Build Log

Default Re: STI Farm Fox Build Log

Quote Originally Posted by jiott View Post
    I also used Tinnerman nuts on the weld tabs back at the tail access covers.
    I'm so glad I'm looking in other people's build threads before I get started. I read through the builders tips section and didn't find gold like this (it's good, don't get me wrong and a great resource)

I bought a project that has been rolled back a ways. In going through the parts I found some small plywood shims that I later recognized as being the size of the fuselage tabs. Later still I found evidence of them being de-bonded from the bottom side of the floor boards. The shims are of varying thickness and I wasn't looking forward to figuring out where each one must have come from.

The last several posts clear up everything about what the previous builder did and what different paths others have taken. Tinnerman nuts are a forehead slapping obvious choice. In my life I have seen too many rivnuts spin to trust them, so they are my absolute last choice.

Carry on!

Quote Originally Posted by alexM View Post
    I'm so glad I'm looking in other people's build threads before I get started. I read through the builders tips section and didn't find gold like this (it's good, don't get me wrong and a great resource)

I bought a project that has been rolled back a ways. In going through the parts I found some small plywood shims that I later recognized as being the size of the fuselage tabs. Later still I found evidence of them being de-bonded from the bottom side of the floor boards. The shims are of varying thickness and I wasn't looking forward to figuring out where each one must have come from.

The last several posts clear up everything about what the previous builder did and what different paths others have taken. Tinnerman nuts are a forehead slapping obvious choice. In my life I have seen too many rivnuts spin to trust them, so they are my absolute last choice.

Carry on!
    I agree with you, this is the mega source for Kitfox building Knowledge.
    Harlan and Susan Payne
    Sold Piper Archer
    Flying FarmFox STI Kitfox N61HP
    Rotax 915is, Airmaster prop
    https://www.youtube.com/channel/UC5A...oCVUP15G0uB-Yw

I got the floor varnished and mounted and have started on the center console. I need to trim about 1/4'' off the side sheets. What do you use if you don't have proper sheet metal equipment? I have right and left tin snips but not sure they would leave a good enough edge.
    Attached Images Attached Images
    Harlan and Susan Payne
    Sold Piper Archer

On the thin aluminum sheets, I've gotten good results with a metal straight edge and a "STURDY" razor knife. The aluminum scores easily and after 10 -15 cuts the piece breaks off nicely. Use a thick straight edge to prevent the blade from jumping up and doing bodily damage. Go easy at first and BE CAREFUL!!

Rick

Yep. Good way to cut aluminum bumsteer. That’s the only way to do it unless you have a sheer available.
    Joe Gallagher
    Flying 7SS

http://frontierfox.home.blog

Good suggestions. Also, you can use a pneumatic Angle die grinder. When using snips, don't cut on your final line. The snips will distort and mark the aluminum. Cut about 1/8" off line then use the die grinder to work to your final edge....

Practice on scrap!!!

Ralph

With a little practice & care you can make a second on-the-line cut (after the first, close to the line) with a good pair of duck-billed shears, then finish with a file &/or 320-400 grit aluminum oxide sand cloth. I’ve found that a Stanley Sure-Form plane (do they still make those?) work surprisingly well to take the edge down to the finish line. A fine-grit belt sander also works well, with care, to finish to the line, followed with file/sanding block. I built an entire all-metal airplane that way, without a big shear. Mostly 2024-T3 Alclad, .016 to .040” thickness. One of the tricks to using hand shears is to carefully stop each individual “bite” before reaching the end of the jaws, then taking another, etc. Typical “aviation shears” have little serrations on the cutting edge which make them unsuitable for a good finish cut. You need a smooth-jawed duckbilled one for nice smooth straight cuts. The other techniques mentioned by others also work. For the thinner stuff a paper cutter will work for small pieces too.
    John Evens
    Arvada, CO
    Kitfox SS7 N27JE
    EAA Lifetime
    Chap. 43 honorary Lifetime

Not sure what tooling you have but here is what will give you a nice edge. To start with, if you cover with fabric, your edge isn't all that important. I used aviation snips as John described. I used the belt sander to get the edge really strait, not that its a huge problem. It will be straight enough in all likelyhood if you cut on the line. I used an Avery Edge Rolling Tool to bend the edge over slightly. https://www.aircraftspruce.com/catal...ryedgetool.php. You can use it again on the tail close out panels as well as the trailing edge of the stainless steel fire wall where it meets the bottom of the belly. Panels look so much nicer with the bent edge IMHO. I used closed foam on the top console before covering it with fabric. This then allows the side panels, whith the bent edge and fabric covering, to push into the soft material. All this makes the edge appearance basically invisible.
    Eddie Forward
    Flying
    SS7, 912iS, Garmin G3X

Hey Harlan,

Looking forward to following the build of FarmFox ahead of our own - arriving in the UK in around 10 months.

Great first vlog btw - you've got another follow! Don't sweat the video quality too much. Sure it is nice, but it'll come with time. Keeping it real and relateable is far more valuable to your key audience, who appreciate and care for the fact you're taking the time and effort to share the build experience and any lessons learned.

All the best,
    Jim

Thanks Jim for the kind review.
    Eddie, how much did u roll on the top?
    Thanks all for the different ways to end up with a good cut. I really appreciate the help.
    Harlan and Susan Payne
    Sold Piper Archer