Kitfox Aircraft Stick and Rudder Stein Air Grove Aircraft TCW Technologies Dynon Avionics AeroLED MGL Avionics Leading Edge Airfoils Desser EarthX Batteries Garmin G3X Touch
Page 33 of 58 FirstFirst ... 2329303132333435363743 ... LastLast

Thread: STI Farm Fox Build Log

Default Re: STI Farm Fox Build Log

There has to be inputs to that backup camera to show your projected path as you turn. You just need some type of position sensor on your rudder pedals to bring that to life...
    Kitfox 5 (under construction)
    Commercial SE/ME, CFII

Now your getting fancy Alax. haha. That may be what the 2 red wires are for.
    I just want rid of the lines.
    Oh well its a 15 dollar camera and any rca type will plug into my wiring under the plane now so 5 min swap. I am looking for something with 60 or 90 degree field of view. I have a couple of 60 degree cams on my farm equipment for rear viewing while going down the road and 60s are same as looking your self. The wide 120 to 150 degree is normal in backup camera but you cant see far as looking at a car coming up behind you.
    So far I can't find it in the small camera like a backup camera.
    Harlan and Susan Payne
    Sold Piper Archer
    Flying FarmFox STI Kitfox N61HP
    Rotax 915is, Airmaster prop
    https://www.youtube.com/channel/UC5A...oCVUP15G0uB-Yw

Default Windshield is in!

I was dreading the windshield but it was a pretty easy install.
    Now with John Evens help we are working on the glare shield.
    So far I'd rather put in another windshield than another glare shield...
    Attached Images Attached Images
    Harlan and Susan Payne
    Sold Piper Archer

Here's one more - let us know how close to John's it is - should print out full size. Attached here for the use of others as well. Glare shield cutout finish.pdf

We feel your pain Harlan when it comes to fitting the glare shield so in Arizona, we took a different yet simple approach.

D839B4DD-1241-41FC-BF4D-4061F4A48A0E.jpg
    cut glares shield wide enough to slide straight in over the top of the panel up and against the windshield.
    No twisting and warping and possibly scratching the expensive windshield or, damaging that glare shield.

91603DD6-1A29-4155-B9E2-E0DCD530A115.jpg
    Bond a supporting “plate” at correct level on cross tubes to support the glare shield when located in it’s proper location regarding depth and height. Easiest when windshield is removed after final trimming. This support ended just a hair to low so we trimmed it down substantially and used what was remaining as a platform to bond on top of a nice piece of aircraft spruce which I then shaped
    to fill the glare shield cut out. Painted the wood support flat black so no glare while flying. Also wood is less likely to scratch the windshield then the original fiberglass support.

0865392C-0191-4B80-92C4-B5530276089B.jpg
    Glare shield trial fitting with support piece bonded in permanently.

576BC9FF-7BEF-4986-BEF5-56959680A3C2.jpg
    Gluing glae shield material in place and trimming around cut out area for cross tubes.

71A67E14-15D5-4CED-887C-7C250C49F7E6.jpg
    final locating of glare shield on top of my custom panel.

D69D586E-648D-4427-8FA4-07816BC6E645.jpg

9DAAD9AE-6975-415A-896E-23C2C58AE98F.jpg
    All finished except maybe I’ll put same fabric as is on glare shield on the support panel. I did paint the support panel flat black for the time being. Great place for wires for GDL-39 antenna to penetrate glare shield. Fits nicely and makes glare shield removal and replacing a very simple process. Nothing can fall through the glares shield in that support area either. Just another way to make life easier visa vie glare shields. I love this little but so useful modification. Thanks to DesertFox1 and Bill Prokes for the idea.👍

DesertFox4
    Admin.
    7 Super Sport
    912 ULS Tri-gear

Quote Originally Posted by Delta Whisky View Post
    Here's one more - let us know how close to John's it is - should print out full size. Attached here for the use of others as well. Glare shield cutout finish.pdf
    \

That is very nice Darrel, thanks.
    Harlan and Susan Payne
    Sold Piper Archer

Quote Originally Posted by DesertFox4 View Post
    We feel your pain Harlan when it comes to fitting the glare shield so in Arizona, we took a different yet simple approach.

Fits nicely and makes glare shield removal and replacing a very simple process. Nothing can fall through the glares shield in that support area either. Just another way to make life easier visa vie glare shields. I love this little but so useful modification. Thanks to DesertFox1 and Bill Prokes for the idea.👍
    My son and I discussed putting a plate of some kind in and cutting glare shield out square, looks like a great way to do it . That's very nice Steve!
    Harlan and Susan Payne
    Sold Piper Archer

I think I like and will do that modification and actually cut the carpet on top the correct size. It is flexible enough to form around the supports. You could always use some hook and loop or double face tape to hold the carpet down in that area.
    Starfox

Again since I believe in the KISS principle, I cutout the "Y" shaped notch in the glare shield just like the build manual says (its really not that hard to do). The only thing I did different is when I glued the fabric to the glare shield, I did not cut the fabric out to the edges of the Y notch. I just made a single slit down the center of the Y shape. The glare shield is very easy to put on and off; when it is on, the fabric slit mostly closes up around the X braces so there is very little open area to look ugly or the swallow dropped objects. Why make a bunch of extra work.
    Jim Ott
    Portland, OR
    Kitfox SS7 flying
    Rotax 912ULS

Show use picture. Perfect.
    Starfox