Kitfox Aircraft Stick and Rudder Stein Air Grove Aircraft TCW Technologies Dynon Avionics AeroLED MGL Avionics Leading Edge Airfoils Desser EarthX Batteries Garmin G3X Touch
Page 2 of 58 FirstFirst 1234561252 ... LastLast

Thread: STI Farm Fox Build Log

Default Re: STI Farm Fox Build Log

Nice! Welcome to the kitfox family.
    Dustin Dickerson

Building 7ss STI x 2
    Oratex
    29" shock monster
    EP912STI 155hp
    Garmin
    N33TF......FLYING!
    N53TF......FLYING!

Thanks for all the comments.
    We, my wife, one son and me finished taking inventory today. Everything is there except for a few back orders and items that are drop shipped.
    Ready to build I assume.
    I haven't read the eaa pamphlet that came with it but I have a question about logging the build. Is signing and dating the pages in the build manual when completed kosher or what am I suppose to do?

I signed and dated each checkoff page in the build manual. I also kept a simple spiral notebook logging each day I worked on it and "roughly" how many hours. Also snapped digital photos of each major project stage and tried to show myself in some of them. The final inspection and application for a repairman's certificate went without a hitch.
    Jim Ott
    Portland, OR
    Kitfox SS7 flying
    Rotax 912ULS

I just took pictures with my phone along the way. I signed and dated as I completed task, but as you will find out many task don't apply. When applying for my repairman I referred to my phone more than I did the manual. When the inspector went through the manual I just wrote NA on a lot because with the STI, you have separate instructions for the wings, and lots of blank pages with the options you get. Inspector was fine with that because when he saw all the pictures on my phone that was proof enough for him. I didn't log any hours because honestly I didn't want to know.
    Dustin Dickerson

Building 7ss STI x 2
    Oratex
    29" shock monster
    EP912STI 155hp
    Garmin
    N33TF......FLYING!
    N53TF......FLYING!

Thanks guys that's what I needed to know. I just had no idea what the inspector would expect to see. Thanks
    Harlan and Susan Payne
    Sold Piper Archer
    Flying FarmFox STI Kitfox N61HP
    Rotax 915is, Airmaster prop
    https://www.youtube.com/channel/UC5A...oCVUP15G0uB-Yw

Harlan - another great source is: https://inspire.eaa.org/2020/01/02/w...-your-project/

Looks like you are off to a great start. Keep on keeping on.

I did precisely what Jim did and had no problems with the FSDO. I will add though. I dropped my laptop off the coffee table, it landed upside down and destroyed the HD. 1/2 of all my build photos were lost. The only saving grace was I had downloaded many of my photos to Shutterfly and had made hard cover books of my build. So, I took the three books I had made through the build and plopped them down in front of the FSDO examiner who really liked how it was presented with little captions and all. BACK UP Pics somehow!
    Eddie Forward
    Flying
    SS7, 912iS, Garmin G3X

Quote Originally Posted by efwd View Post
    I did precisely what Jim did and had no problems with the FSDO. I will add though. I dropped my laptop off the coffee table, it landed upside down and destroyed the HD. 1/2 of all my build photos were lost. The only saving grace was I had downloaded many of my photos to Shutterfly and had made hard cover books of my build. So, I took the three books I had made through the build and plopped them down in front of the FSDO examiner who really liked how it was presented with little captions and all. BACK UP Pics somehow!
    I was just thinking about my last phone dyeing and losing all my pics that were on there when I read your post.
    Harlan and Susan Payne
    Sold Piper Archer

Quote Originally Posted by Delta Whisky View Post
    Harlan - another great source is: https://inspire.eaa.org/2020/01/02/w...-your-project/

Looks like you are off to a great start. Keep on keeping on.
    I have looked at your build log link and its really nice. Is that what you will show the inspector or do you us a written log?
    Harlan and Susan Payne
    Sold Piper Archer

Harlan,

I just used the build manual also, and like Dustin I didn't log my time either, for the same reason. I took a lot of pictures, and when time to apply for repairman's Certificate I handed the guy a thumb drive with pretty much all of them on it. He didn't need or want anything else but the FAA paperwork. He took it into his office for a little while, then came back, handed me the drive and said "good job". That was it.
    John Evens
    Arvada, CO
    Kitfox SS7 N27JE
    EAA Lifetime
    Chap. 43 honorary Lifetime