Kitfox Aircraft Stick and Rudder Stein Air Grove Aircraft TCW Technologies Dynon Avionics AeroLED MGL Avionics Leading Edge Airfoils Desser EarthX Batteries Garmin G3X Touch
Page 2 of 2 FirstFirst 12

Thread: Electrical schematic drawing software

Default Re: Electrical schematic drawing software

Oops! Yup it is Solidworks and it is not made for Macs. Works on my Win 10 machine👍
    Jeff
    KF 5
    340KF

When I was working I taught myself and used CAD often but I loved Microsoft VISIO better for 2D drawings. I could quickly draw just about anything on that software and electrical wiring interconnect diagrams were a breeze to create. I had access to large format printers and drawings were fun to create, and they looked great. Although I was used to all the MS office products, after I retired I switched over to Apple and bought a CD copy of MSOffice that ran on a MAC. VISIO was too expensive, or I was too cheap at the time, and I no longer had a large format printer. My options became more limited.

Although I have created all my electrical wiring drawings the old fashioned way, I've been very impressed with some of our Kitfox builders and their impressive CAD type drawings. Thats what led to my initial question about what software might be available. I've since looked at and studied a few of the suggested options until my brain hurts and I've come to the conclusion that without a big format printer for me right now the old fashioned way is just fine. Those of you that have access to all the latest computer software and printer should consider yourself as blessed. Thanks all for your good suggestions but I've come full circle in my thinking about this topic and my table below with its large format paper is still pretty effective. My eraser still works fine and the thin lead mechanical pencils now days never need sharpening. My old fashioned method also never needs a software update or a monthly subscription fee. A photo of my main schematic is included, which still needs a little touch up here and here.

IMG_7384.jpg I bought my drafting table and drafting machine 25 years ago at a high school auction for less that $20. Thats a hard one to beat.
    Larry Olson
    Kitfox Series 6 - 1st Flight Oct 2021
    Tri-gear, smooth cowl
    912 ULS

Eagle - has a free version available.

Birdseyeview - Your drafting table brings back great memories of days gone by. It sure is easier to see "the big picture" that way and offers a lot of personal enjoyment.

In catching up on this post I see that I never answered your first question. I use Draftsight as my CAD program. It used to be free but they now charge a fairly reasonable fee. I got so hooked on it that I decided to pay the tariff as it makes my life much easier and I'm too lazy to learn another (free) program. I use it a lot to lay out parts, glue the paper to flat stock and start drilling and cutting. You can't beat the speed, accuracy and ability to make changes if the first version doesn't work out quite right. If I need to print out something full size that won't fit on a piece of letter size paper, it is off to Staples or Office Max for a reasonable fee. You already knew these benefits but this gives me something else to do during lock down (waiting for the next ACS delivery) and others that are sitting on the CAD fence might be encouraged to take the step.