Kitfox Aircraft Stick and Rudder Stein Air Grove Aircraft TCW Technologies Dynon Avionics AeroLED MGL Avionics Leading Edge Airfoils Desser EarthX Batteries Garmin G3X Touch
Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast

Thread: T3 tail clicking

Default T3 tail clicking

Ive noticed some clicking that has gotten more and more noticeable when pushing my plane around. I have the T3 tail suspension and I notice it most when applying a side load to the assembly. For example if the tail wheel is locked in the straight forward position and I grab the handle and shift the tail back and forth but not enough to break the wheel loose to free caster. I cannot tell if it's coming from inside the tail or from the bolts/pivots and assembly of the T3 shifting slightly. Nothing seems to be loose and there isn't any apparent shifting at the attachment points to the fuselage. Im wondering if anyone else with the T3 notices this and if its maybe normal and something I shouldn't worry about.

Default Re: T3 tail clicking

Same type of noise on mine.
    The flex in the tubes is enough to make the aluminum cover on the vertical stabilizer make the noise.
    It moves enough that I ran a scope all through the tail to try and find any issues, but none found.
    The lenth of the T3 and the baby bush is long enough to have more side leverage on the tail.
    Not going back to a leaf spring though.
    Attached Images Attached Images

Mine did the same thing. I am running tundra lite tail wheel. Tighten the attachment bolt to the tailwheel. I did and it went away.
    Dustin Dickerson

Building 7ss STI x 2
    Oratex
    29" shock monster
    EP912STI 155hp
    Garmin
    N33TF......FLYING!
    N53TF......FLYING!

My wheel bolt is tight for sure. I took a video incase others have this too. Here’s what mine sounds like. Still need to tighten the T3 bolts to fuselage. It doesn’t seem that the movement is there. It seems like it’s in the T3 joints. So I lubricated them well. https://youtu.be/Rf7gucJUHDM

Wow , sounds just like my back in the mornin, when I get out of bed! Hope you get to the bottom of that . Bruce N199CL

That sounds like it could be wood rubbing on fiberglass. I would be looking closely at where your wood peices mate to the vertical stab fiberglass down just above the T3. Just a thought. I have this set up without that sound.
    Eddie Forward
    Flying
    SS7, 912iS, Garmin G3X

Hi Joe,

You said it makes the noise mostly when applying a side load. Does it also make some similar noise when you push straight up & down on the tail? Have you supported the tail and moved the assembly by hand? You might try applying a little lube to the shaft of the spring dampener.
    John Evens
    Arvada, CO
    Kitfox SS7 N27JE
    EAA Lifetime
    Chap. 43 honorary Lifetime

Tighten the bolt that attaches your tailwheel to the t3. (Not your wheel bolt) Problem solved. Mine made the same noise, tighten it and noise is gone. You will not be able to visually see the movement, but there is slight movement between your tailwheel and t3.
    Dustin Dickerson

Building 7ss STI x 2
    Oratex
    29" shock monster
    EP912STI 155hp
    Garmin
    N33TF......FLYING!
    N53TF......FLYING!

Tighten this bolt tighter

5ACA15D0-3D99-48DB-A8F8-246C810CCBE6.jpg
    Dustin Dickerson

Building 7ss STI x 2
    Oratex
    29" shock monster
    EP912STI 155hp
    Garmin
    N33TF......FLYING!
    N53TF......FLYING!

Dustin sounds convincing. I can't recall but I believe there is also a shim in there as well. Not sure how it would behave if it were not in there.
    Eddie Forward
    Flying
    SS7, 912iS, Garmin G3X