Kitfox Aircraft Stick and Rudder Stein Air Grove Aircraft TCW Technologies Dynon Avionics AeroLED MGL Avionics Leading Edge Airfoils Desser EarthX Batteries Garmin G3X Touch
Page 2 of 2 FirstFirst 12

Thread: T3 tail clicking

Default Re: T3 tail clicking

Took the tail off the ground and did some more investigating. Its not the tail wheel connection but point of note, I did not use the shim. After calling customer service they told me this was not needed with the T3 and ABI tail wheel.

It seems there is movement at the top three pivots. I can see the two side plate shifting relative to one another and the pivots. Im going to call (if they are open) and see if I can get some advice. I oiled everything and still clicking.

Quote Originally Posted by efwd View Post
    That sounds like it could be wood rubbing on fiberglass. I would be looking closely at where your wood peices mate to the vertical stab fiberglass down just above the T3. Just a thought. I have this set up without that sound.

^^^^^^ This and this ^^^^^^
    Dave
    KitFox 6 Taildragger
    912 ULS
    Whirlwind 70” Prop
    Garmin G3x
    All around nice guy

I know, I was grasping. I hope its just torque on the bolts that rectifies it.
    Eddie Forward
    Flying
    SS7, 912iS, Garmin G3X

Joe,

Make sure the bolts are all tightened as they should be. I know that the 2 top ones on the fittings that attach to the fuselage should be torqued tight to specs. Any of the other joints that need to rotate need to be tightened as recommended by ABW. Those will be the ones that are using castle nuts.
    John Evens
    Arvada, CO
    Kitfox SS7 N27JE
    EAA Lifetime
    Chap. 43 honorary Lifetime

Thanks all. Got it sorted. After Johns comment above I re-read the installation instructions and went about going through the system throughly. I did not catch that the top two bolts were supposed to be re-torqued after install. So I snugged those which took away some of the noise. Still some creaking. Then I checked the wood ribs. Nothing moving. Then I loosened all of the castle nuts and bingo it was gone! So I lubricated them one by one (while loose to get it in the joints) and retightened to the same position they were in from the factory. That did it. The majority of the noise was coming from the pivot bolt that holds the front of the swing arm. I think that joint was dry and the little float there is in that joint caused the noise.