Kitfox Aircraft Stick and Rudder Stein Air Grove Aircraft TCW Technologies Dynon Avionics AeroLED MGL Avionics Leading Edge Airfoils Desser EarthX Batteries Garmin G3X Touch

Thread: Kitfox iv with NSI Subaru

Default Kitfox iv with NSI Subaru

Hi From Brisbane Australia Hope all my fella Kitfoxs people and family’s are ok with the crises going on.

Happier note

I brought a kitfox iv last year and has sat in the hanger for 6 months. I have a good second hand Rotax 912 and would like to install it

I am hoping I just need new engine mounts from kitfox and rest I can do here in AUS as the dollar is no good for me.

Any changers to Cowling i can do here by local guys

been looking on forum and found a few items but still no real help

Keep safe Griff

Default Re: Kitfox iv with NSI Subaru

If your wings have one degree of forward sweep you are most likely going to need to change it to zero sweep to get your CG to be right with the Rotax engine. The forward sweep is used on planes that have heavier engines installed. This has been discussed on the forum if you want to research this topic.
    Phil Nelson
    A&P-IA, Maintenance Instructor
    KF 5 Outback, Cont. IO-240
    Flying since 2016

Maybe look to see how much weight is in the tail. My Kitfox 4 with Subaru had about 20 lbs of lead in the tail. Taking that out would change the CG quite a bit. Maybe I just missed it, but I don't remember any Kitfox 4 having forward swept wings, I think that came with later models maybe. But I've been wrong before. (plenty of times some would say:-) Keep us posted on your project. I've been completely restoring a Kitfox 4 and went from the Subaru to a 912 as well. I built a new firewall and am about to make up the new panel. Most everything is different from when I got it. Easiest to get a kitfox motor mount and maybe a new cowl, probably most everything else could be built there. Actually, you could probably reuse the round cowl, mine was remodeled a bit to fit the Subaru but could have been patched up fairly easy. I'm not reusing mine cause it blocks some of the view looking forward, on the ground and in the air. Fire away with any questions, I think we are all wanting to help. JImChuk

Quote Originally Posted by PapuaPilot View Post
    If your wings have one degree of forward sweep you are most likely going to need to change it to zero sweep to get your CG to be right with the Rotax engine. The forward sweep is used on planes that have heavier engines installed. This has been discussed on the forum if you want to research this topic.
    Welcome.to the group. My memory seems to suggest that the forward sweep was a 5 and later phenomenon due to the more robust design and heavier empty weight that prompted a desire for more HP. Been building or flying IVs since 1993. In fact, the Subaru was a factory option when I was building in the 90s and was an option I had considered and I remember consulting with the factory "go to" guy and he advised exactly what you are planning.
    Lowell Fitt
    Goodyear, AZ

My You Tube Channel