Kitfox Aircraft Stick and Rudder Stein Air Grove Aircraft TCW Technologies Dynon Avionics AeroLED MGL Avionics Leading Edge Airfoils Desser EarthX Batteries Garmin G3X Touch
Page 2 of 2 FirstFirst 12

Thread: Flat tyres

Default Re: Flat tyres

Hi folks, this is an image of the cats eye burr lodged in a car tyre. They occur commonly down under. Hell on bare feet too.

Thanks to all who have replied to my flat tyre problem. Sorry I didn't explain what Catheads are. Nasty little coots. They don't bother heavy rubber tyres but these smooth Airsteaks and probably Tundras are fair game for them. Also push bike and motor bike tyres suffer from them. The No Flat liquid I am trying is quite liquid I would say a bit thicker than milk and so it should go it fairly easily with a bit of pressure, but no such luck. I could use a spike or drill bit and gently force a hole through the obstruction but wanted to be sure I wasn't going to wreck something in the process. I believe the tyre itself is best described as being like a giant donut so you can take it off the rim and pump it up just like you can with a tube. This poses the problem that the holes in the tyre are not big enough and too numerous to use a plug, you can't put a sleeve in them as there is no access to the inside of the tyre and in a bad case of catheads you can have numerous tiny holes. I am sure a flat 26" tyre is not much fun to land on......(or maybe heaps of fun!!!!) Thanks again everyone. I will keep watching for your thoughts.

So far I haven't gotten flat main tires from the goat-heads in Idaho, but I have gotten a flat tailwheel a time or two. I put a piece of bicycle tube liner in the tailwheel tire before I installed the tube. I bought this at a local bike shop, but you can get this from Amazon too.

I wonder if anybody makes something like this that is wide enough to protect the main tires (tyres for our mates ). Of course this wouldn't help if you are using tubeless tires.

Phil Nelson
    A&P-IA, Maintenance Instructor
    KF 5 Outback, Cont. IO-240
    Flying since 2016