Kitfox Aircraft Stick and Rudder Stein Air Grove Aircraft TCW Technologies Dynon Avionics AeroLED MGL Avionics Leading Edge Airfoils Desser EarthX Batteries Garmin G3X Touch

Thread: Flat tyres

Hybrid View

Previous Post Previous Post   Next Post Next Post

Default Re: Flat tyres

In Eastern Washington we call them Goathead. https://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Goat%27s_head
    I haven't put any sealer in airplane tires but put "Slime" in my snowmobile trailer tires. It squirted in real easy.

In the early kitfox days there must have been a lot of goathead around the Kitfox factory in Nampa. The factory sold slime.
    Last edited by t j; 04-01-2020 at 06:27 AM.
    Tom Jones
    Classic 4 builder

Interesting story about using slime in the tires. I have a set of Kingfox tires, remember them? They look just like the nanco 22/12/8 tires. I was running them at about 8 lbs of pressure, so they tended to leak a bit. I put slime in them to try to keep them from leaking. Finally I gave up, and put tubes in them. No more leaks for a while, then one day, one of the tires was low. I had landed on pavement the day before, which is something I usually didn't do. When I tried to pump up the tire, it wouldn't take any air. I took the valve stem valve out and no air would come out. Finally ran a sharpened wire up the valve stem, and poked it through the obstruction. That let the air out, and when I pulled the tire off the wheel, I found that the tire had spun on the rim, which tore the valve stem out of the tube. The slime that was left in the tire had mostly sealed it from leaking till the next day. Funny but true. Not sure this helps the question on this thread, but it's my story, and I'm sticking to it! JImChuk

PS, if you don't know about the Kingfox tires, a powered parachute dealer in Michigan had a bunch of them made up about 12 years ago. Something happened where he had to get rid of them, and his price was something like $25 for two with shipping included. I got a set, and still use them

I bought a set of those king fox tires for $25 too. I smile every time I hear what people pay for "Tundra" tires.
    Tom Jones
    Classic 4 builder

I did buy a pair of the Nancos a year or so back for $100 on ebay with shipping included. They are waiting on a shelf incase they are needed. Ya, $25 was a great buy. JImChuk

So far I haven't gotten flat main tires from the goat-heads in Idaho, but I have gotten a flat tailwheel a time or two. I put a piece of bicycle tube liner in the tailwheel tire before I installed the tube. I bought this at a local bike shop, but you can get this from Amazon too.

I wonder if anybody makes something like this that is wide enough to protect the main tires (tyres for our mates ). Of course this wouldn't help if you are using tubeless tires.

Phil Nelson
    A&P-IA, Maintenance Instructor
    KF 5 Outback, Cont. IO-240
    Flying since 2016