Kitfox Aircraft Stick and Rudder Stein Air Grove Aircraft TCW Technologies Dynon Avionics AeroLED MGL Avionics Leading Edge Airfoils Desser EarthX Batteries Garmin G3X Touch

Thread: Hand Rivet Squeezer

Default Hand Rivet Squeezer

I am looking at rivet squeezers and need info from those who have built before.
    What reach is needed for the Kitfox build, 1.5, 2.0, 3.0 inches?
    What size rivets do the kitfox builds use?
    Does one need dimple dies? If so what size?
    I know many have borrowed these, but there are none to borrow that I know of around so I plan to buy a good used one as there are several for sale.
    Thanks for any info.

I used the one that comes in the Kitfox optional tool kit. It is a relatively inexpensive one but does the job. The reach is not a problem, but get the narrowest nose possible to be able to pull rivets close to other items. I ground down the front side of the Kitfox rivet squeezer to help in these places.

No dimple dies are needed.
    Jim Ott
    Portland, OR
    Kitfox SS7 flying
    Rotax 912ULS

Default Re: Hand Rivet Squeezer

Kitfox Pilot

Just to be sure, you are talking rivet squeezer and not a puller correct? I bought a 1.5 inch throat squeezer from Wicks for $40 at Oshkosh. They still show them for $46 but are out of stock. You would have to buy the dies also. The 1.5 has worked for everything I have used it on so far. I used solid rivets (have to check on size) as opposed to pop rivets for the flaperon trailing edge. The aluminum is too thin to countersink so I did use a dimple die for that.

Rick

Thank you, I didn't know one came in the tool kit. I do have that coming.

Quote Originally Posted by bumsteer View Post
    Kitfox Pilot

Just to be sure, you are talking rivet squeezer and not a puller correct?..Rick
    Yes a squeezer. Some places I have seen solid rivits used and they look better to me. Thank on heads on on Wicks, I'll take a look.

Honestly, I don't believe I have any rivet heads showing on the exterior of the plane with the exception of the oil door on the engine cowl. It probably gets done with pull rivets per the manual. I don't really know because I used countersunk, solid rivets to attach the hinge to its respective surfaces of the oil door installation. In that case you will need every bit of the three inch squeezer throat in order to reach that center rivet along that strip of hinge. I also had to utilize a countersink drill tool to set the depth of the countersink in the fiberglass to receive the countersunk rivet head. I used adhesive to adhere all the parts together before I smashed the rivets. No working rivet heads at 165hrs on the airframe. Having the tools just adds to the finish but certainly not necessary.

I forgot the Trailing edge of the flappers. Dimple dies came in handy there and solid countersunk rivets used.
    Eddie Forward
    Flying
    SS7, 912iS, Garmin G3X

To clarify, the tool I was talking about that comes in the Kitfox tool kit is a rivet "puller" not a squeezer for solid rivets. For a squeezer you are on your own (I used vise grip pliers).
    Jim Ott
    Portland, OR
    Kitfox SS7 flying
    Rotax 912ULS

Quote Originally Posted by efwd View Post
    Honestly, I don't believe I have any rivet heads showing on the exterior of the plane with the exception of the oil door on the engine cowl...
    I have looked at planes where the solid rivets were used and liked the looks better, the trailing edge was one of those spots. Thanks

Quote Originally Posted by jiott View Post
    To clarify, the tool I was talking about that comes in the Kitfox tool kit is a rivet "puller" not a squeezer for solid rivets. For a squeezer you are on your own (I used vise grip pliers).
    Thanks for that info.