Kitfox Aircraft Stick and Rudder Stein Air Grove Aircraft TCW Technologies Dynon Avionics AeroLED MGL Avionics Leading Edge Airfoils Desser EarthX Batteries Garmin G3X Touch
Page 2 of 4 FirstFirst 1234 LastLast

Thread: Model IV Edge Performance EFI, Panel, and Other Miscellaneous Upgrades

Default Re: Model IV Edge Performance EFI, Panel, and Other Miscellaneous Upgrades

I have a solidworks file. PM an email address and I’ll send it.

Default Re: Model IV Edge Performance EFI, Panel, and Other Miscellaneous Upgrades

Good day! First, I can't figure out how to rotate pictures, and I think I have to complete this prior to me uploading them. So I apologize for that in advance.

Mocking up the radiator to move it forward so that I can eventually install a cabane gear, and decided to use at least one of the nut plates, of the two installed (one fore and one aft), so that I don't have to drill two holes in my floor board. Essentially, I just moved the radiator forward so that the aft hole on the radiator lines up with the forward nut plate on the aircraft. The radiator will be about 1-1/4" forward of the forward gear mounting attachment. Then I will drill up through the floor board using the forward radiator bracket hole and install a bolt and screw for each side.

The issue is: there is a bump protruding downward in the fabric very near where I'm to drill. I don't know what is there and if the radiator isolation rubber will eventually wear the fabric over time.

Two questions:
    1. Will there be enough spacing in between the radiator and the forward mounting attachment point for a cabane gear?
    2. Would shaping the rubber to the bump be a wise idea?

Radiator 1.jpg
    Radiator 3.jpg
    Radiator 2.jpg

Here is my panel mocked up. I just received some McMaster Carr vibration-dampening sandwich mounts. They are the natural rubber, 8-32 thread, with 1/8" insert into the rubber. They will be installed on the two instrument support arms at the top of the panel. I used a rustoleum textured paint to reduce the glare off from the panel during flight. I'll be laser etching the labels into the panel and keeping the bare aluminum exposed.

Panel Pilot View.jpgPanel Copilot View.jpg

Awesome Project you have going here!
    Will definitely follow your progress, and curious to see your results with the Edge Performance engine!!

We just released a video of our 165hp Edge Performance engine install in our Kitfox 7, if I may share that here:

From what we have seen so far, its amazing!!
    https://youtu.be/f0n0Z0YrRH0

Already watched the video last night! Standing by for part 2. I'm only installing the EFI portion on my 912 ULS. The model IV doesn't have enough room for the inter cooler and turbo under the cowl. I wish it did though! Maybe one day I'll go with a bigger bore for a bit more horsepower.

Awesome, Thanks!

That's still going to be insane on the Model IV!!

Image that! Edge engine with intercooler and Turbo on a IV - I would start worrying about VNE by then 😋

If you have any questions about the Engine, im working on Part 2 now, Mabe I can work it in?

I am an engineer so I am going to ask the obvious question-isn't there a limit to how much HP you can ask of an engine that was designed for a little over 100 hp? The addition of turbo intercoolers, EFI, and bigger bores does nothing to strengthen the bottom end. I know the factory pushes the 915is to close to 150 hp, but its a brand new engine with possibly strengthened bottom end compared to a 912/914. Has anyone done any engineering to determine if a basic 912/914 can handle 165+ hp with any reasonable longevity?
    Jim Ott
    Portland, OR
    Kitfox SS7 flying
    Rotax 912ULS

Default Model IV Edge Performance EFI, Panel, and Other Miscellaneous Upgrades

I'll answer all of those questions in part 2, comming soon, but in short:

They rebuilt the engine from ground and up. They start off by precision welding the crankshaft to make it a solid “one piece” crank to handle the increased power. Next they machine the crank case half and install piston oil squirters which job is to keep the pistons cool under high loads. They change the overload clutch settings in the gear box, install forged pistons with 8.3:1 compression ratio which had Teflon coated skirts and ceramic coated crowns. add their fully sequential fuel injection system with lambda sensor and the ECU has auto-tune features and individual injector trim to balance out any EGT spread. And they add the turbo and turbo exhaust and tune, break in and test the engine for 99 minutes on their test bench.

They've stressed the cranks to well above 200hp, and broken a few, so they know exactly where the limits are...
    More than 250 such engines have been built since 2006 and none has failed. Some has more than 1200-1500 hours. So they have a perfectly good track record!

Hope this helps?

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk
    Last edited by About2Stall; 04-04-2020 at 11:23 AM.

How does the weight compare to a stock 912 and any idea what the TBO is?
    Michael Meyers
    KF IV
    Las Vegas, NV

Default Model IV Edge Performance EFI, Panel, and Other Miscellaneous Upgrades

Our KitFox 7's Total weight is 13kg lighter than with the 914 Turbo which we had (Conversion was done on this 914) and that includes the 2kg we added by upgrading to the Alaskan Tailwheel... So in total it's around 15kg lighter.

TBO is around 1200h
    Last edited by About2Stall; 04-04-2020 at 04:04 PM.

PART 2 now up!

Hopefully we've answers some of your questions...

ENGINE REBUILD | 165hp Rotax Upgrade Edge Performance vs Rotax 915is - BUILD Part 2
    https://youtu.be/gs3zq--4R7E