Kitfox Aircraft Stick and Rudder Stein Air Grove Aircraft TCW Technologies Dynon Avionics AeroLED MGL Avionics Leading Edge Airfoils Desser EarthX Batteries Garmin G3X Touch

Thread: Wing attachment problem

Exclamation Wing attachment problem

So after putting the wings on and then removing them to work on them, spar reinforcements, ribs, etc. Then, when going to put them back on, the left wing went on easy, but the right wing I got one bolt in through the spar and carry through spar, and the other spar seems to be 1/8” off. Any ideas how this happened and how I can fix it?

Default Re: Wing attachment problem

One thing that should be BOLD in the instructions but is not very clear is you do not want to install the ribs when the wing is not installed on the plane, specifically rib #1. I am guessing you installed rib #1 while off the plane?
    Dustin Dickerson

Building 7ss STI x 2
    Oratex
    29" shock monster
    EP912STI 155hp
    Garmin
    N33TF......FLYING!
    N53TF......FLYING!

Another thing to look at is how the bushings on the head rack for the spar attach points are shaped. If those are not fit well to the spar doublers, they will push spar out of place.

Brandon

Brandon, are Dustin's observations correct, IF you had QB wings which were also pre-rigged at the factory?
    I was thinking specifically the STi wing?
    Ratc
    S7 sti - Ordered (Nov '20 delivery)
    North Yorkshire
    UK

Hello! Dustin is also correct. The rib can play a role in that as well on either STi or Super Sport. I always recommend that the wings be placed on the fuselage with the wings bolts in place during this step to assure the proper fit. That will tell you very quickly if the rib is pushing anything out of place. The fitment of the spar doublers would be prior to the rib step.

Quote Originally Posted by Brandon Petersen View Post
    Hello! Dustin is also correct... I always recommend that the wings be placed on the fuselage with the wings bolts in place during this step to assure the proper fit.
    The manual is pretty clear on this - instructing you to install the #1 ribs and let the adhesive cure overnight with the wings on the plane. I hope you get it sorted!
    --Brian
    Flying - S7SS

Quote Originally Posted by Tivanov75 View Post
    So after putting the wings on and then removing them to work on them, spar reinforcements, ribs, etc. Then, when going to put them back on, the left wing went on easy, but the right wing I got one bolt in through the spar and carry through spar, and the other spar seems to be 1/8” off. Any ideas how this happened and how I can fix it?
    Tivanov, if you have installed/hysoled the number one rib on the spars it appears that you are going to have to remove it on that wing and re install it per the manual instructions. It can be done and it's not too difficult either. The Hysol adhesive will soften with heat. Use a heat gun to heat the hysol, being careful not too hot to burn the wooden rib. When the hysol softens you can scrape and chip it off.

Don't use a metal chisel or steel scraper as that will scratch the spar. I salvaged all the hardware and ribs off a Model 4 wing using this method. You need to make a scraper/chisel out of some very hard wood. I cut a short piece off a hickory shovel handle and sharpened one end like a chisel. Most of the hysol came off just using the wooden chisel with my hands. Some I had to tap the wooden chisel with a hammer.

I trust you haven't installed the fuel tank or partial rib but if you have you need to remove both those then the spars will easily flex back into their proper position to install the pins/bolts through the spars and carry through spar lugs.

Please report back with your success.
    Tom Jones
    Classic 4 builder