Kitfox Aircraft Stick and Rudder Stein Air Grove Aircraft TCW Technologies Dynon Avionics AeroLED MGL Avionics Leading Edge Airfoils Desser EarthX Batteries Garmin G3X Touch
Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast

Thread: Rotax 532 never run but needs overhaul - should I replace it instead

Question Rotax 532 never run but needs overhaul - should I replace it instead

Just bought a Kitfox Model 1 that was delivered in 1989 but was never finished. Still have a year of work to get it completed. The 532 has never been run and needs an overhaul due to age. Would it be best to look for a 582 or another engine?

Default Re: Rotax 532 never run but needs overhaul - should I replace it instead

I have looked at the HKS 700E but would have to find one for a reasonable price considering that they are not in production. I also see that Aeromomentum is coming out with a 3 cylinder Suzuki engine later this year. I would look at a used Rotax 582 if I could find one for a reasonable cost. It would allow me to use the prop that came with the kit.

Default Re: Rotax 532 never run but needs overhaul - should I replace it instead

What do you consider "resonable"? There is 582 for $2k in Kansas on barnstormers complete with gearbox, starter and exhaust. Another in Illinois for $3800 new in box, also with gearbox, starter and exhaust. Then there is another in Florida for $4600 packaged in a nice looking but de-registered Kolb Mark 3.

John Brannen
    Morris, IL
    Sonerai IIL (Single Seat)
    Kitfox 3/4 1050 - Rotax 582 (Back Flying and sold)
    Kitfox IV 1050 - Rotax 582 (sold)
    Kitfox IV 1200 Speedster - Rotax 912 UL (project)
    Piper Twin Comanche (Sold)
    Glasair 1 FT (Waiting to start)

I would consider $2000 for a 582 reasonable and maybe even the $3800 depending upon what the overhauls costs are. Sure would prefer a 4 cycle engine but another thread mentioned something about insurability.

That was me that mentioned insurability. I have a 582 powered Kitfox and was able to get quotes to insure it. You just have to make sure you read what is and isn't covered before binding. Later today I will see if I still have the quotes that didn't cover 2 strokes to see what the exact wording was. If I remember right it also would not allow conversions, so the Apex, Viking, Subaru, etc would all have been out.
    John Brannen
    Morris, IL

Here was the verbiage on the quote I received from Falcon when looking for insurance for my 582 powered Kitfox:

This is an experimental aircraft. To bind this quote the make and model of the installed engine must be documented to us and approved by the
    underwriter. Aircraft equipped with automobile engines and two-stroke engines are not acceptable.

I also received quotes from Avemco, AIG, and Global Aerospace, all of which had no exclusion like the one from Falcon. My insurance broker got more quotes but I only had him send me the 2 most favorable which were AIG and Global. Falcon and Avemco I got on my own. I wound up going with Global
    John Brannen
    Morris, IL

My preference would be a 80 hp. 912 Rotax. A little harder to find and would mean a complete firewall forward conversion. Four stroke, insurable, resellable and reliable.

DesertFox4
    Admin.
    7 Super Sport
    912 ULS Tri-gear

We have not done any work on the firewall yet. Is a Kitfox model 1 firewall strong enough to hold a Rotax 912? I see 5 AN-4 bolts hold the Rotax 532 engine mount to the airframe. Is this the same with the Kitfox 4?

John McBean has been reluctant to give me any advice on engine replacements. I imagine he does not want the liability.

I would suggest looking up one of our members posts by the username of SkySteve. He converted his model 1 to a Rotax 912 80 hp. with good success. I was able to fly his Kitfox a few years back at one of the Kitfox Aircraft Factory fly ins.It performed incredibly well. It can be done.

DesertFox4
    Admin.
    7 Super Sport
    912 ULS Tri-gear

Note that a Kitfox 1 has a manufacturer specified gross weight of 850 pounds and a lightweight 2-stroke version will weigh about 450 pounds. Rotax list the 582 weight including carbs, exhaust, gearbox at 97 pounds. The 912UL is 131 pounds so about 34 pounds more. So the useful load is going to go from 400 pounds to about 365. With say 10 gallons of gas it will then be 305 pounds for people and baggage, effectively making it a single place airplane except for smaller people. Just make sure you are ok with that.
    John Brannen
    Morris, IL