Kitfox Aircraft Stick and Rudder Stein Air Grove Aircraft TCW Technologies Dynon Avionics AeroLED MGL Avionics Leading Edge Airfoils Desser EarthX Batteries Garmin G3X Touch
Page 2 of 2 FirstFirst 12

Thread: Rotax 532 never run but needs overhaul - should I replace it instead

Default Re: Rotax 532 never run but needs overhaul - should I replace it instead

Thanks for all of the information John. We do want the useful load. Someone has offered us a good price on a 582 so it seems like the best way to go.

Default Re: Rotax 532 never run but needs overhaul - should I replace it instead

Thanks for all of the information John and Desert Fox. We do want the useful load. Someone has offered us a good price on a rebuilt 582. This is also the best way to go price wise and time wise.

I have an all original built KF#0021 finished in ‘91, it still has the 532, points, single ignition, if u keep on the service it needs, pullin motor adjusting points every 25hrs if i remember right, they good, but no where as good as having a 582 in ur plane to have the dual ignition, I have a couple 582 on the shelf and one is going in KF# 0021 when i get a chance, just finished rebuilding KF#0038 so that time will come soon.

I even think the 582 is a few more hp, better cooling, better oil injection system, better ignition, so if ur looking to go thro the 532,,,, bag that idea and put ur $ in the 582.

That is what we concluded. We are now looking for some 6 gallon fiberglass wing tanks. The Rotax 532/582 are not very fuel efficient so it would be nice to have the option of carrying extra fuel.

Im doing football wing tanks on #0038, it had aluminum tanks in the wings that people say leak, they weigh 5.6lbs each, easy way to have fuel when needed, and a way to not carry around the extra weight and I like the structure better without the wingtanks in the wing

Quote Originally Posted by buckchop View Post
    Im doing football wing tanks on #0038, it had aluminum tanks in the wings that people say leak, they weigh 5.6lbs each, easy way to have fuel when needed, and a way to not carry around the extra weight and I like the structure better without the wingtanks in the wing
    I think that is a good idea. I would not need them that often so why carry the weight of wing tanks. My wing is not covered yet but we would have to move the braces to use that area. That would delay us completing the plane. Thankfully due to the shelter in place rules I have lots of time to work on the plane now. May even get it together enough for precover inspection by late summer.

Quote Originally Posted by KNickman View Post
    Just bought a Kitfox Model 1 that was delivered in 1989 but was never finished. Still have a year of work to get it completed. The 532 has never been run and needs an overhaul due to age. Would it be best to look for a 582 or another engine?
    did you ever get a straight answer to your question?
    Van Jones
    912-659-9150