Kitfox Aircraft Stick and Rudder Stein Air Grove Aircraft TCW Technologies Dynon Avionics AeroLED MGL Avionics Leading Edge Airfoils Desser EarthX Batteries Garmin G3X Touch
Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast

Thread: Kitfox 2 wingtank

Default Kitfox 2 wingtank

I’m currently rebuilding my Kf2 wings, replacing spars and I also want to replace my 6 gallon alutanks.

Kitfox sells 13 gallon tanks that they custom make for 650 dollars.

The 13 gal tank involve loosing one rib and change the layout of the stringers.

Is there someone who has 6 gal fiberglass tanks for sale or are there any other options that would be better?

Maybe the 13 gallon option is the best....

Skickat från min iPhone med Tapatalk

Default Re: Kitfox 2 wingtank

Why do you need to replace the spars, if you don't mind my asking? JImChuk

Quote Originally Posted by avidflyer View Post
    Why do you need to replace the spars, if you don't mind my asking? JImChuk
    https://teamkitfox.com/Forums/thread...e-routing-hole

I had read that thread and that hole for the pitot tube would not stop me from flying under that spar. The hole is on the neutral axis of the spar where compressive/tensile loads are nil. Without doing a structural analysis, the loads at the neutral axis, which are shear loads are generally pretty low. Think about a built up spar where the vertical spar web is on the neutral axis and what do we generally see there..... Giant lightening holes. I'm not telling you what to do but if it were my airplane I would just make sure the edges of the hole made for the pitot was smooth with no cracks emanating from it and forget about it. Beside that, if Denny Aircraft said to drill a hole then probably most of the early model 1 kitfoxes had that hole and supposedly no Kitfox has ever had an in-flight structural failure. How many hours do the logs say your airplane has?
    John Brannen
    Morris, IL
    Sonerai IIL (Single Seat)
    Kitfox 3/4 1050 - Rotax 582 (Back Flying and sold)
    Kitfox IV 1050 - Rotax 582 (sold)
    Kitfox IV 1200 Speedster - Rotax 912 UL (project)
    Piper Twin Comanche (Sold)
    Glasair 1 FT (Waiting to start)

I rebuilt the wings off a Bede BD-4, that's the big 4-place with 2024 aluminum tube spars, and fiberglass box sections you would slide over the spars to create your wing sections. The design didn't allow for air to circulate around the spar tubes, and as a result there was substantial pitting and white powder found on the spars, after we cut the glass sections off, due to moisture . No alodine or other protection was applied to the spar either. However, the kitfox spare is designed so air can flow around it and dry it back off if it gets moist, so I would expect the spars to last for many decades of regular use.
    Roger

Default Kitfox 2 wingtank

Quote Originally Posted by 109JB View Post
    https://teamkitfox.com/Forums/thread...e-routing-hole

I had read that thread and that hole for the pitot tube would not stop me from flying under that spar. The hole is on the neutral axis of the spar where compressive/tensile loads are nil. Without doing a structural analysis, the loads at the neutral axis, which are shear loads are generally pretty low. Think about a built up spar where the vertical spar web is on the neutral axis and what do we generally see there..... Giant lightening holes. I'm not telling you what to do but if it were my airplane I would just make sure the edges of the hole made for the pitot was smooth with no cracks emanating from it and forget about it. Beside that, if Denny Aircraft said to drill a hole then probably most of the early model 1 kitfoxes had that hole and supposedly no Kitfox has ever had an in-flight structural failure. How many hours do the logs say your airplane has?
    Hello!

The problem is that the hole is larger than what is stated in the manual...But I sure it is still ok as you say...problem is that I will be thinking about that damn hole all the time while flying.

I think changing the spar will make me sleep better .

Also the Ali tank is drilled and riveted into the spar and maybe it is best to get rid of that when changing wing tank

The airplane has 200 hours on it

Quote Originally Posted by DesertFox4 View Post
    New 13 gallon fiberglass tanks make good sense because you are replacing the spars anyway.
    Yes probably but what to do about the stringers...that attach to the second spar, move to third spar?!

This is how i look in my original build manual, maybe just move all of the to the right in between rib 3 and 4

This is how i look in my original build manual, maybe just move all of the to the right in between rib 3 and 4

Quote Originally Posted by Peter_SE View Post
    I’m currently rebuilding my Kf2 wings, replacing spars and I also want to replace my 6 gallon alutanks.

Kitfox sells 13 gallon tanks that they custom make for 650 dollars.

The 13 gal tank involve loosing one rib and change the layout of the stringers.

Is there someone who has 6 gal fiberglass tanks for sale or are there any other options that would be better?

Maybe the 13 gallon option is the best....

Why do you want to replace the aluminum tanks? Would you consider selling them?

I don’t want any problem with leaking tanks in the future and they have already been repaired once.

I can sell them if you want