Kitfox Aircraft Stick and Rudder Stein Air Grove Aircraft TCW Technologies Dynon Avionics AeroLED MGL Avionics Leading Edge Airfoils Desser EarthX Batteries Garmin G3X Touch

Thread: Mystery Brakes?

Default Mystery Brakes?

I have a Kitfox II and the right brake master cylinder began to go soft and eventually fluid began coming out the top of the cylinder near where the snap ring opens. I have been trying to identify the origin of these brakes but no one has been able to identify them. I even asked a Matco rep. if he knew; he did not. I would like to find a replacement but may be forced to consider replacing both with new cylinders. I am considering the Matco MCMC-5, however the length of the current cylider is 6.5" and the Matco is 7.7". I'm certain I will have some rudder pedal attachment issues if I swap them out. Anyone have any thoughts on this?

Brake Master Cylider'.jpg

Default Re: Mystery Brakes?

Hey i think i know what brand and model number they r, i think mine r same on KF#0021, and i have a bunch of extras parts in the shed, i can get u what info u need, but ive had problems with them leakin out top also, but seem to work just fine, altho ud would b makin a good move to go to the Matco M5, and moveing ur welded on mount point on the toe brake lever side is easy and u can fix any geometery problems u have there, thats what i did on KF#0038.
    Anyways ill go get a pic of the brand name sticker and part# on mine here shortly.

Sorry took me a big to get back, got tied up , service here not great the best. Think this close but fittin on bottom little different, either way there is also a pic of whats inside of one if u remove the top snapring, looks like just one oring on the bottom.
    Attached Images Attached Images

I cannot quite make out the name of the company; Rose**man?? The fact that in searching for experimental aircraft brake systems this name or item did not show up tells me they are likely not in business any longer and therefore the likelihood of finding a set of these would be remote at best.

I think I'm better off taking you advice and refitting the aircraft for the MC-5 cylinders. Thanks for the help. It is very much appreciated.

Dan

They are probably Rosenhan brakes. They used to be quite common way back when. If the issue is just leaking then just measure and order new o-rings from McMaster Carr. You want Buna-N o-rings and then you can use either MIL-H-5606 brake fluid (Aircraft suppliers) or DOT 5 (Not DOT 5.1) (Auto parts stores.)
    John Brannen
    Morris, IL
    Sonerai IIL (Single Seat)
    Kitfox 3/4 1050 - Rotax 582 (Back Flying and sold)
    Kitfox IV 1050 - Rotax 582 (sold)
    Kitfox IV 1200 Speedster - Rotax 912 UL (project)
    Piper Twin Comanche (Sold)
    Glasair 1 FT (Waiting to start)

Thank 109JB, u r correct on them, and also it is just the one oring on there. Easy 10-15 cent fix done it myself, dont even have to drain the system or pull them off, just take off the top mount bolt, snapring, and pull it out, replace oring and reassembile. So minimal rebleeding of system,

If u have a little fluid coming out of the top after u replace oring u have it just a little to full of fluid, the very top has no seal on it, and it is just a fluid resevor for when the bottom needs fluid to make brakes work under compression. Ive been there b4 myself, a good buddy of mine set me right, he is my goto guy for questions

ill bet they out of bussiness, or bought out by another.
    Last edited by buckchop; 03-31-2020 at 10:28 AM.